Thread: HELP: can't log in -- no root group?

Beans

HELP: can't log in -- no root group?

I haven't done anything different that I recall -- no updates, upgrades, changes etc.
    I'm running Precise (12.04) on a Dell laptop (xps17, dual boot with Win7).
    And I can't log in anymore!

I boot to login cleanly running grub. No issues, no warnings, no errors.
    I load GDM -- no issues.

When I try to log in, it takes me back to the GDM screen.

I try to boot to console and get the login prompt. No issues, warnings, errors, etc.

I enter username/password and it just bounces me back to the log in prompt. I've got a couple accounts and they both do it.

If I re-boot, as it's shutting down I see:
    something like "root group not found" (I think? I can't tell, since it goes by pretty fast).

Open to ideas on how to fix this??
    --kevin

Beans

Re: HELP: can't log in -- no root group?

Quote Originally Posted by kjh_ngisd View Post
    I haven't done anything different that I recall -- no updates, upgrades, changes etc.
    I'm running Precise (12.04) on a Dell laptop (xps17, dual boot with Win7).
    And I can't log in anymore!

FINALLY found an error message. Looks like there's an error in the auth.log that tells me I'm suddenly missing /lib/security/pam_limits.so.

After some digging, i've found this in /lib/x32_64<something i don't remember>/security/

So I think something (one of the updates from before maybe?) moved the file or...something? I saw something online about someone in Fedora having to repoint pam from /lib/security to /lib64/security.

So my question now is ... huh?? how did this happen and what do i do to fix it?
    --kevin

Beans

Re: HELP: can't log in -- no root group?

Confirmed. That's it.
    I modified the /etc/pam.d/console-session to point to /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/security/pam_limits.so and it all worked.

*NO* idea why this suddenly was needed. It must have been an breaking update that slipped through when I wasn't looking.

Just leaving it here for other people who may encounter the issue.
    --kevin