Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best distro for a netbook?

Beans

Re: Best distro for a netbook?

A netbook, huh? Maybe live CDs for Ubuntu, Peppermint OS, Mint, or even Chrome OS Vanilla can be useful.

Beans

Considering this a Net Book with some pretty bad specs, I would either run Xubuntu, Lubuntu, Elementary OS (in Beta phase), Linux Mint XFCE Edition, or Puppy Linux. Again this is if you don't plan on upgrading your hardware.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi,
    Yours CPU got 64 bit set,
    http://ark.intel.com/products/58916/ spec

Pleasy try install
    Xubuntu 13.04 64-bit or Lubuntu 13.04 64 bit

I run Xubuntu 64 bit and it use about 600-800mb ram and I like it more than ubunutu or lubuntu.

http://xubuntu.org/getxubuntu/

or

Downloading Lubuntu 13.04

Checklist

The default "Desktop" installer requires 384-800 MB of RAM (depending on your selected options). If you have any problems, or if you're comfortable using a keyboard interface, try the alternate installer to install on computers with less RAM or a hard disk smaller than 4.3 GB.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lubuntu/GetLubuntu

PS. Try upgrade Your netbook with 2gb ddr2 memory sick for about 20$/e
    I think any os with 1gb of ram will not work to fast....
    Last edited by Sylslay; May 20th, 2013 at 12:16 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I always use CrunchBang if I need to get the best performance out of a machine.
    Cheesemill

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Although I prefer Xubuntu, I am going to recommend Lubuntu, as it will be a little faster on that low-end hardware.

CrunchBang would be even faster than Lubuntu, but is not as easy to use (but still a fantastic distro).
    Do you folks like coffee?

Beans

Running Xubuntu 13.04 on mine and it works pretty well. I did upgrade to an ssd and 2gb ram though. Don't expect to watch hd video but for basic usage a netbook is more than capable with a good solid linux distro.
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by LockePhilote View Post
    I think I'm going to run Word in Wine. Actually, I kind of have no choice. I love the PDF idea, but I cannot do that as part of the class, and my career of choice, is editing the work of my peers in-document. The commentary and the corrections need to be in the original document or a correction could be missed or copied over wrong, or a comment not seen or cut off by the conversion. I love OpenOffice and have used it on another computer, but I cannot run the risk of compatibility issues popping up, not when my grade and future career is at stake : (
    hmmm if this is academical institution should they be more open to open formats ?

anyway i know the situation... microsoft has uni leaders in their pockets...

PDF also had comments option. though ti's not as good as office one.

it seems to me you need word. well i think that one should work (at least 2007) in wine.

what about online offices? MS 365 and Google office... they are becoming more and more popular and are not dependant on the OS. it seem we are moving in that directon. anyway good luck with your career and whatever choice you make.
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Hi,

My girlfriend recently bought a netbook which came pre-installed with Windows 7 Starter *shudder*

With only 1GB of RAM, it ran like a bag of crap. I installed Lubuntu on it for her and it works great. She was amazed at the difference. With Starter she only had 30MB of RAM remaining for her to use after loading into the desktop, but with Lubuntu she had over 900MB free. She uses MS Office packages for Uni and gets by with using the Word & Excel Web Apps on Skydrive. They provide most of the features you need in basic documents.

If not, Libre Office is really good and I've never had any major compatibility issues with Word or Excel files.

Cosmic

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by CosmicFlux View Post
    Hi,

My girlfriend recently bought a netbook which came pre-installed with Windows 7 Starter *shudder*

With only 1GB of RAM, it ran like a bag of crap. I installed Lubuntu on it for her and it works great. She was amazed at the difference. With Starter she only had 30MB of RAM remaining for her to use after loading into the desktop,....

what did they load into RAM? i have starter and with antivirus and comodo firewall the ram is showing 517MB on loading the desktop sometimes it's even below 500MB. with 2GB onboard it's not a problem. i have no idea why they decided to pre-install this crippled OS on the mashcine where ram can go up to 8GB (even with anytime upgrade i can only upgrade to 32bit win7 home which again can take only 4GB ram max). when save some money i intend to increase ram to at least 6 GB and put Kubuntu 64bit on it.
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup

Beans

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/

Then create a My Office account. Excellent idea, mastablasta.

P.S. If you still want to you Office in Wine, check first if you see Wine in the Application (Start) menu. If not, you might want to install winetricks just to make sure Office will install right. Just type "sudo apt-get install winetricks" in terminal (if using Ubuntu or Ubuntu derivative) or do a search for Winetricks in the software center. An added benefit is it will install some core Microsoft fonts that you might otherwise miss out on.
    Last edited by Bill Tetzeli; May 31st, 2013 at 01:48 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12