Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How to install samba 4 as an active directory domain controller

Beans

Re: How to install samba 4 as an active directory domain controller

Hi JnPson,

I installed the AD remote adminstration package and installed several of these "plugins" on my Windows 7 Ultimate client. However I cannot connect to the domain from these tools. I don't know if my Windows machine has to be part of the domain first. But like I said I'm unable to connect this Windows 7 client to my domain.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

As I said, I have never had such problems.
    those definitely come from your S4 installation.

As I have no mean to know what you did during your setup, I would advise to make a fresh install.
    then I can assist you in each and every step you want. or just use my script and it'll work just fine.
    One step further might be one step too far...

Beans

Hi Toxic,

I started from scratch again after changing ".local" to ".lan". I installed ubuntu server again. Created the partition again. So it's a fresh install with only ".lan" as the extension. I tried working with the "old" smb.conf I found in /usr/share/samba, but that didn't work. So I removed the old smb.conf and reinstated the original smb.conf. I changed the dns forwarder to the Google DNS (8.8.8.8) in smb.conf. And I removed the Google DNS from /etc/network/interfaces as was suggested in this other tutorial http://www.jadota.com/2013/01/instal...-ubuntu-12-04/ which follows your tutorial to a great extent.

Beans
    Distro

you have to work with this smb.conf:/usr/local/samba/etc/smb.conf

please try my script. it will automate installation and configuration. if it works, then it means you have done something wrong while following the tutorial.

Also fresh install in core mode with no selected package at the end (no BNS, no openssh server, no nothing... if you need them you'll be able to do so with the tasksel command right after.

Beans

Okay, I'll try your scripts...

Beans
    Distro

nextraa, you're right, I'm not that experienced in Linux and Samba. But I know that you can still use AD Users and Computers to see what error you get. If it's working it will give the error:
    Code:
    The following domain controller could not be contacted: dc.mydomain.lan. Permission denied. 
    Or if it's not working:
    Code:
    The following domain controller could not be contacted: dc.mydomain.lan. The RPC-Server is not available. 
    But I recommend you to use Toxic64's script instead.
    Last edited by JnPson; July 3rd, 2013 at 01:00 PM.
    What ya need my signature for? It's not like it's my last will, or something!

Beans
    Hopefully I can do it tonight. I will let you know.

What do I do with the samba4.conf file?

I ran the first script. I don't have time to run the second script tonight, so I will do it tomorrow.

I ran the second script. But that didn't go so well. I put my values in and I changed the time servers. During the script I saw it couldn't find my network adapter. And the DNS tests failed. Also the copying of the .conf file failed.
    Last edited by coffeecat; July 5th, 2013 at 09:02 AM. Reason: 4 consecutive posts merged - you can use the edit button to add information

Beans

I need to go on. I'm going to thinker with it some more today, but if I don't succeed (which is likely) I'm going to install samba3 and see if that suits my purposesses better.

Thanks anyway...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nextraa View Post
    Hi JnPson,

I installed the AD remote adminstration package and installed several of these "plugins" on my Windows 7 Ultimate client. However I cannot connect to the domain from these tools. I don't know if my Windows machine has to be part of the domain first. But like I said I'm unable to connect this Windows 7 client to my domain.
    If I recall yes your Windows machine must be part of the domain to administer with RSAT.

Beans
    Distro

not a mandatory condition...

Once RSAT is installed you can choose to connect to a DC on a domain from DSA.MSC. credentials will be asked for...

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast