Thread: BibleTime stopped showing text.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

BibleTime stopped showing text.

Up until the normal ubuntu 13.04 updates a few days ago, Bibletime 2.9.1 worked fine. However, now neither it nor xiphos will show text. The programs will load fine, and show that there are modules loaded. But when I try to pull up different passages, no text shows, just a blank window. When I change references, the text will flash up for a split second then disappear. I've removed, autoremove, purge, using both the terminal and USC. Nothing seems to work. Attached is a screenshot showing what it looks like. I tried changing fonts, no luck. I can't seem to find a place where font color is controlled, so it can't be that. This is my main study program, so getting it working is important.

Beans

Re: BibleTime stopped showing text.

Same thing happened to me after 13.04 upgrade. I have no clues.

Beans

I am using a normal Ubuntu 13.04, i.e. not the UCE, but I am seeing the same problems here. I did the upgrade from 12.10 to 13.04.
    I think I can confirm that this is not something to do with UCE.

Beans

I tried Xubuntu 13.04 here while back and had a slight problem with Xiphos, where the bottom arrow wouldn't show up in the list of books of the Bible. Frustrated, I then downloaded and installed BibleTime and had the same problem y'all are talkin' about. I finally gave up and went to Xubuntu 12.04, where Xiphos is at least working perfectly. Can't comment on BibleTime though, as I don't have it installed, since Xiphos is working AOK and I don't see the point in having that kind of redundancy.
    Have you heard that Microsoft bought Hoover Vacuum? Now they finally have a product that doesn't suck!

Beans

It is fixed in Bibletime 2.9.2. However, the problem is it is not available in the software center. You have to download the source from sourceforge.net and build it. I did it, but I warn you, it was a pain. Ha ha. I had to install a lot of qt5 dev packages to get it to build.

Beans

You can download the debs at below url for Saucy which work in Raring;
    http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/poo...e/b/bibletime/

Make sure you remove Bibletime and Bibletime-data before process. Then install 2.9.2 version debs with gdebi

Beans

Yeah I had that Xiphos problem too where you can't scroll the books as the selector cuts at screen height even if using multi monitors which I have above each other.

Beans

Bible time now works fine. I guess that one of those upgrades must have fixed it. I can now see text : )
    I guess that once you have all updates done on your system, then it should be fine. I'm running Ubuntu 13.10.