Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't install Ubuntu 12.04 LTS alongside win7 x64 :(

Beans

Lightbulb Can't install Ubuntu 12.04 LTS alongside win7 x64 :(

Hello everybody, i am a newbie with Linux. I have " Asus R500VD-SX403H ", and i tried to install Ubuntu 12.4 LTS, but i couldn't do that . During the installation i don't have the selection "Install alongside win7 ".Although i have just 2 primary partitions and the others are logical.When i choose " something else "" it just shows me a whole hard disk.
    I have tried many solutions but i cann't install it !!!!!!!

Anyone can help me with that ?????
    Last edited by peshmerge; May 23rd, 2013 at 03:51 PM.

Beans

Re: Can't install Ubuntu 12.04 LTS alongside win7 x64 :(

Best solution would be to create separate partition for the Ubuntu and install. you can make some space with disk shrink option of disk management in windows 7. you will get some unallocated space. create a new partition out of this unallocated space and install in that.

Thanks
    Shivu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

BEFORE you do that, do yourself a favor and use the Win7 Backup feature to create and burn a Win7 Repair CD. You will need that in order to restore the Win7 boot capability, should that become damaged as a result of your dual-boot installation.
    Ubuntu 16.04 Mate, Mint 17.3; MS Win 8.1, MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Actually you need to create a separate partition for Ubuntu first. To do that, clean up one of your partition's data, then boot ubuntu from USB or CDROM. After this follow the steps mentioned in the link below :
    http://opensource-sidh.blogspot.com/...h-windows.html

Keep in mind that, in the step 3 choose something else and click next. Now you'll see all your partitions, select your desired partition and follow the step 5 and go on.

Hope you'll enjoy the great experience of Linux. Wecome to this world.

Beans

Lightbulb Re: Can't install Ubuntu 12.04 LTS alongside win7 x64 :(

First Thanks for all ^_^
    Second sorry for being late to replay

Quote Originally Posted by Shivakumara View Post
    Best solution would be to create separate partition for the Ubuntu and install. you can make some space with disk shrink option of disk management in windows 7. you will get some unallocated space. create a new partition out of this unallocated space and install in that.

Thanks
    Shivu
    I have already done this step !!!! but it didn't worked. Thanks a lot bro!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Phelps View Post
    BEFORE you do that, do yourself a favor and use the Win7 Backup feature to create and burn a Win7 Repair CD. You will need that in order to restore the Win7 boot capability, should that become damaged as a result of your dual-boot installation.
    Thanks a lot bro!
    Quote Originally Posted by uzumakifahim View Post
    Actually you need to create a separate partition for Ubuntu first. To do that, clean up one of your partition's data, then boot ubuntu from USB or CDROM. After this follow the steps mentioned in the link below :
    http://opensource-sidh.blogspot.com/...h-windows.html

Keep in mind that, in the step 3 choose something else and click next. Now you'll see all your partitions, select your desired partition and follow the step 5 and go on.

Hope you'll enjoy the great experience of Linux. Wecome to this world.
    Thanks a lot bro!

These are fotos describe my situation : this my laptop's bios
    IMAG1022.jpgIMAG1021.jpgIMAG1020.jpgIMAG1018.jpgIMAG1019.jpg

Ohers fotoes in the next post !

Beans

Exclamation Re: Can't install Ubuntu 12.04 LTS alongside win7 x64 :(

You can notice that i have 19 GB free ,but when i try to choose " something else " during installation, it shows me the whole hard disk , not the 19GB ...
    i AM JUST confused, i have tried all solutions on the web !!!!!!!!!!!

IMAG1025.jpgIMAG1024.jpgIMAG1023.jpg1.jpg

Beans

Lightbulb Re: Can't install Ubuntu 12.04 LTS alongside win7 x64 :(

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Phelps View Post
    Bro!! can u help me??? i have posted all pics about my situation!!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Did this laptop come pre-installed with Windows8 and that you later installed Windows 7?

Firstly, you have 'Secure Boot' enabled in BIOS. This usually indicates that you had Windows8, but its not a must. Try 'disabling' "Secure boot".
    Secondly, your laptop appears to have UEFI enabled, which means the HDD had GPT table, Did you change the table to MBR/msdos?

Its bit confusing. Please clarify the above.
    "Evolution is Nature's way of issuing upgrades."

Beans

Unhappy Re: Can't install Ubuntu 12.04 LTS alongside win7 x64 :(

Quote Originally Posted by fantab View Post
    Did this laptop come pre-installed with Windows8 and that you later installed Windows 7?

Firstly, you have 'Secure Boot' enabled in BIOS. This usually indicates that you had Windows8, but its not a must. Try 'disabling' "Secure boot".
    Secondly, your laptop appears to have UEFI enabled, which means the HDD had GPT table, Did you change the table to MBR/msdos?

Its bit confusing. Please clarify the above.
    Hi Thanks for replay !!
    My laptop came with pre-installed Win8 and then i replaced win8 with Win7 .I tried before to disable Ubuntu with disabling 'Secure Boot' but also didn't work
    My laptop has UEFI enabled,i agree with u bro !. But how can i change it to MBR/msdos??

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I suspect that you have already changed it to 'msdos' and that is what is perhaps, causing the problem. Can you boot Windows 7, is it working?
    Boot with Ubuntu CD/DVD/USB that you have and "Try Ubuntu", let the desktop load. Establish connection to internet. Open Terminal, Ctrl+Alt+T, and run the following command and post its output:

Code:
    sudo parted -l
    Last edited by fantab; May 21st, 2013 at 12:12 PM.
    "Evolution is Nature's way of issuing upgrades."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast