Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Can't install Ubuntu 12.04 LTS alongside win7 x64 :(

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Beans
    9

    Lightbulb Can't install Ubuntu 12.04 LTS alongside win7 x64 :(

    Hello everybody, i am a newbie with Linux. I have " Asus R500VD-SX403H ", and i tried to install Ubuntu 12.4 LTS, but i couldn't do that . During the installation i don't have the selection "Install alongside win7 ".Although i have just 2 primary partitions and the others are logical.When i choose " something else "" it just shows me a whole hard disk.
    I have tried many solutions but i cann't install it !!!!!!!

    Anyone can help me with that ?????
    Last edited by peshmerge; May 23rd, 2013 at 03:51 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Beans
    2

    Re: Can't install Ubuntu 12.04 LTS alongside win7 x64 :(

    Best solution would be to create separate partition for the Ubuntu and install. you can make some space with disk shrink option of disk management in windows 7. you will get some unallocated space. create a new partition out of this unallocated space and install in that.

    Thanks
    Shivu

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Beans
    13,182
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

    Re: Can't install Ubuntu 12.04 LTS alongside win7 x64 :(

    BEFORE you do that, do yourself a favor and use the Win7 Backup feature to create and burn a Win7 Repair CD. You will need that in order to restore the Win7 boot capability, should that become damaged as a result of your dual-boot installation.
    Ubuntu 16.04 Mate, Mint 17.3; MS Win 8.1, MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Dhaka
    Beans
    264
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: Can't install Ubuntu 12.04 LTS alongside win7 x64 :(

    Actually you need to create a separate partition for Ubuntu first. To do that, clean up one of your partition's data, then boot ubuntu from USB or CDROM. After this follow the steps mentioned in the link below :
    http://opensource-sidh.blogspot.com/...h-windows.html

    Keep in mind that, in the step 3 choose something else and click next. Now you'll see all your partitions, select your desired partition and follow the step 5 and go on.

    Hope you'll enjoy the great experience of Linux. Wecome to this world.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Beans
    9

    Lightbulb Re: Can't install Ubuntu 12.04 LTS alongside win7 x64 :(

    First Thanks for all ^_^
    Second sorry for being late to replay

    Quote Originally Posted by Shivakumara View Post
    Best solution would be to create separate partition for the Ubuntu and install. you can make some space with disk shrink option of disk management in windows 7. you will get some unallocated space. create a new partition out of this unallocated space and install in that.

    Thanks
    Shivu
    I have already done this step !!!! but it didn't worked. Thanks a lot bro!

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Phelps View Post
    BEFORE you do that, do yourself a favor and use the Win7 Backup feature to create and burn a Win7 Repair CD. You will need that in order to restore the Win7 boot capability, should that become damaged as a result of your dual-boot installation.
    Thanks a lot bro!
    Quote Originally Posted by uzumakifahim View Post
    Actually you need to create a separate partition for Ubuntu first. To do that, clean up one of your partition's data, then boot ubuntu from USB or CDROM. After this follow the steps mentioned in the link below :
    http://opensource-sidh.blogspot.com/...h-windows.html

    Keep in mind that, in the step 3 choose something else and click next. Now you'll see all your partitions, select your desired partition and follow the step 5 and go on.

    Hope you'll enjoy the great experience of Linux. Wecome to this world.
    Thanks a lot bro!


    These are fotos describe my situation : this my laptop's bios
    IMAG1022.jpgIMAG1021.jpgIMAG1020.jpgIMAG1018.jpgIMAG1019.jpg


    Ohers fotoes in the next post !

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Beans
    9

    Exclamation Re: Can't install Ubuntu 12.04 LTS alongside win7 x64 :(

    You can notice that i have 19 GB free ,but when i try to choose " something else " during installation, it shows me the whole hard disk , not the 19GB ...
    i AM JUST confused, i have tried all solutions on the web !!!!!!!!!!!



    IMAG1025.jpgIMAG1024.jpgIMAG1023.jpg1.jpg

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Beans
    9

    Lightbulb Re: Can't install Ubuntu 12.04 LTS alongside win7 x64 :(

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Phelps View Post
    BEFORE you do that, do yourself a favor and use the Win7 Backup feature to create and burn a Win7 Repair CD. You will need that in order to restore the Win7 boot capability, should that become damaged as a result of your dual-boot installation.
    Bro!! can u help me??? i have posted all pics about my situation!!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Can't install Ubuntu 12.04 LTS alongside win7 x64 :(

    Did this laptop come pre-installed with Windows8 and that you later installed Windows 7?

    Firstly, you have 'Secure Boot' enabled in BIOS. This usually indicates that you had Windows8, but its not a must. Try 'disabling' "Secure boot".
    Secondly, your laptop appears to have UEFI enabled, which means the HDD had GPT table, Did you change the table to MBR/msdos?

    Its bit confusing. Please clarify the above.
    "Evolution is Nature's way of issuing upgrades."


  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Beans
    9

    Unhappy Re: Can't install Ubuntu 12.04 LTS alongside win7 x64 :(

    Quote Originally Posted by fantab View Post
    Did this laptop come pre-installed with Windows8 and that you later installed Windows 7?

    Firstly, you have 'Secure Boot' enabled in BIOS. This usually indicates that you had Windows8, but its not a must. Try 'disabling' "Secure boot".
    Secondly, your laptop appears to have UEFI enabled, which means the HDD had GPT table, Did you change the table to MBR/msdos?

    Its bit confusing. Please clarify the above.
    Hi Thanks for replay !!
    My laptop came with pre-installed Win8 and then i replaced win8 with Win7 .I tried before to disable Ubuntu with disabling 'Secure Boot' but also didn't work
    My laptop has UEFI enabled,i agree with u bro !. But how can i change it to MBR/msdos??

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Can't install Ubuntu 12.04 LTS alongside win7 x64 :(

    I suspect that you have already changed it to 'msdos' and that is what is perhaps, causing the problem. Can you boot Windows 7, is it working?
    Boot with Ubuntu CD/DVD/USB that you have and "Try Ubuntu", let the desktop load. Establish connection to internet. Open Terminal, Ctrl+Alt+T, and run the following command and post its output:

    Code:
    sudo parted -l
    Last edited by fantab; May 21st, 2013 at 12:12 PM.
    "Evolution is Nature's way of issuing upgrades."


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •