Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ubuntu calculator missing memory button

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Ubuntu calculator missing memory button??

As others have already said, yes, it has memory functions, as soon as you switch from basic mode to any other one. Scientific, for example.

Beans

Re: Ubuntu calculator missing memory button

I don't know man, do you think I made a thread and don't read the replies? You should rather verify something before you insist on it...

I believe these little annoyances are put there deliberately, to encourage people to go and explore new software via ubuntu software center
    those that are last may yet be first

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by VitasLoWang View Post
    I am sorry, but this is something I cannot understand. How can Ubuntu be a "Linux for human beings" if the default calculator app (qcalctool) does not have this M button which every calculator ever made or programmed has?
    If you think about it, a physical calculator's "M" button is just a 'copy and paste' function.

Ubuntu's default calculator has a copy and paste function. It's just not labelled with an "M".
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by VitasLoWang View Post
    I don't know man, do you think I made a thread and don't read the replies? You should rather verify something before you insist on it...
    I believe these little annoyances are put there deliberately, to encourage people to go and explore new software via ubuntu software center
    It's the button with "x" and a arrow pointing down on it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

You can assign values to variables, something like x = <equation_here> would do.
    EDIT: see above. Press the button and press "+" to add a new variable.

Beans

I am sorry I did not really understand this f(x) and don't really have time to do the necessary deep thinking about this :-] This really can not be considered as a normal memory function of a calculator for every day use.
    3rdalbum yes that is right, but usually you don't look for functions of the calculator in the menu so people will not even think about this being possible. They just run the built-in calculator and want to quickly do something. Ctrl+C can substitue MS and Ctrl+V MR, but not the M+ button. I will try to contact Rich Burridge, because this is interesting and meanwhile use KCalc
    those that are last may yet be first

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

It's NOT f(x), it's just x with a downward arrow. You use it to assign values to variables.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Regardless, I'm gonna agree with OP. It is a bit silly not to have the M button clearly marked and functional.

Another strike against Gnome imho.
    clear && echo paste url and press enter; read paste; (youtube-dl $paste) | zenity --progress --title="" --text "Downloading, please wait" --auto-close --pulsate && ans=$(zenity --file-selection); gnome-terminal -x mplayer "$ans"

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Well, for once Gnome actually brings you more features and functionality, since the memory variable button in the calculator does a lot more than what a single "m" button in your basic calculator is able to handle (more than one memory bank, renaming memory banks, automatically storing previous answer, and random values). And it definitely isn't too complicated of a feature to use either (and if you worry about the marking on the button itself, the tooltip describes it as "memory"..).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12