Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu calculator missing memory button

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Thumbs down Ubuntu calculator missing memory button

I am sorry, but this is something I cannot understand. How can Ubuntu be a "Linux for human beings" if the default calculator app (qcalctool) does not have this M button which every calculator ever made or programmed has? I guess I will just ask Rich Burridge directly... I have 12.04 Precise Pangolin
    those that are last may yet be first

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Ubuntu calculator missing memory button??

The default is gnome-calculator . The key word being gnome who have been removing features from many different programs. Nautilus is the most notable example.
    “ Diversity: The art of thinking independently together ”

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Manual

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

From the manpage for gcalc:

View Menu Basic Mode [ Control-B ] Display the calculator in basic mode. Financial Mode [ Control-F ] Display the calculator in financial mode. Scientific Mode [ Control-S ] Display the calculator in scientific mode. Memory Registers [ Control-M ] Display the memory registers window.

Gcalc is gnome-calculator.. right?
    clear && echo paste url and press enter; read paste; (youtube-dl $paste) | zenity --progress --title="" --text "Downloading, please wait" --auto-close --pulsate && ans=$(zenity --file-selection); gnome-terminal -x mplayer "$ans"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

WTH? If you just type "calc" into dash it will run this calculator app which says qcalctool 6.4.1.1 in help / about. But if you run gnome-calculator you will get exactly the same app but saying gnome-calculator in help about and the same version number!
    |{urse what do you mean by this gcalc? These key shortcuts don't do anything in neither of those apps.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

There are lots of calculators in Ubuntu Software Center. MyCalculator looks like it has memory functions
    MB: Asrock Extreme4-M CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K CPU @ 3.50GHz Memory: Corsair Low Profile Vengeance 16.00 GB. GC On CPU HD4000 Platform: x86_64 Distribution:Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus with Cinnamon DE Boot: EFI File System:EXT4

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I mean, if gcalc is not already installed as the default calc program in the current Gnome (if you can call it that) then you should install it and use it instead as it has the memory function you are asking about.
    clear && echo paste url and press enter; read paste; (youtube-dl $paste) | zenity --progress --title="" --text "Downloading, please wait" --auto-close --pulsate && ans=$(zenity --file-selection); gnome-terminal -x mplayer "$ans"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by |{urse View Post
    I mean, if gcalc is not already installed as the default calc program in the current Gnome (if you can call it that) then you should install it and use it instead as it has the memory function you are asking about.
    As I said, gnome-calculator (your gcalc) does not have any memory functions. I would like to see where did you get one having them :-\

Beans

switch from basic to any other view in gcalc

Beans

Well, the keyword is 'Gnome'. If you insist on using Gnome, then there is no help for you. You are forever doomed to suffer and burn in the depths of computer hell.

Here is a nickle kid, get yourself a real DE!

Beans

I'd suggest installing Kcalc. I think you'll like it. It's simple & intuitive enough to learn quickly, and (at least under Ubuntu v10.04) has the memory function buttons in the default display. (If you don't like it, you can uninstall it, right?)
    "That's my motto - a place for everything, and everything all over the place!"
    -- From an old comic I once saw.--

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast