Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Testing for flavours

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Testing for flavours

For those willing to test the flavours, you can save some download time and data allowance by following https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ZsyncCdImage

As one of QA/Testing team I can assure you that https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Testing/Activities/Classroom is going to be updated and new classroom sessions held as we have now an up to date set of testing tools for 13.10 from the work made in 13.04. https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Testing/Acti...lassroom_13.10 Please do realise that as the testing team we have to work with what we have under the current release to test the next release and also get things for testing implemented into the system for +1.

When you have questions, please do head over to the irc channel at #ubuntu-quality or ask on the mailing list. We do not bite and new testers help to improve our documentation at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/QATeam

Regards,

Phill.
    Last edited by phillw; May 19th, 2013 at 08:08 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Elfy View Post
    I'd not presume to ask anyone to run a flavour

It's just about testing ISO's mostly - though personally I run the 'newest' xubuntu, with an old one for those 'oh my word' days and test iso's.
    I'm sure you'd not presume to ask anyone such a thing, but I've got one machine (my main working one) that will only do 2D graphics, so I'm restricted to flavours anyway. I can do ISO testing around milestone time. With a couple of major changes coming up in other areas of life, I think I'd be unwise to try to commit to daily testing.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by VinDSL View Post
    I really, really, liked Lubuntu, a year or two ago, but moved to regular ol' LXDE/Openbox because Lubuntu started taking forever to load via a USB stick, and the situation was getting worse with each upgrade.
    I boot the .iso directly from the hard drive much (!) faster than USB with an entry like this:
    Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/grub.d/40_custom
    #!/bin/sh
    exec tail -n +3 $0
    # This file provides an easy way to add custom menu entries.  Simply type the
    # menu entries you want to add after this comment.  Be careful not to change
    # the 'exec tail' line above.
    menuentry "saucy64 13.10" {
    set isofile="/saucy-desktop-amd64.iso"
    loopback loop (hd0,6)$isofile 
    linux (loop)/casper/vmlinuz.efi boot=casper iso-scan/filename=$isofile noprompt noeject
    initrd (loop)/casper/initrd.lz
    }
    sudo chmod 777 /etc/grub.d/40_custom
    sudo update-grub
    boot and choose the entry
    where the .iso is on partition 6 in my case, note the hd0,6 which would have to be altered for wherever you put the .iso.
    then when the .iso is loaded, do a
    sudo umount -rl /dev/sda6
    install as normal.
    Now note saucy is vmlinux.efi I don't know if the lubuntu vmlinuz is a .efi or not. Under file manager I open the .iso and look into the folder casper to see what the vmlinuz is.

I was running lubuntu on an IBM Thinkpad ~ 2005 vintage, 1.5 gHz Pentium M which ubuntu doesn't support any more. Then the thinkpad died.

This is a 1.66 gHz Atom dual processor 1 GB netbook $250 with a 1600x900 external monitor $89 and wireless keyboard & mouse $20 running saucy ubuntu O.K. I like lubuntu fine provided I installed Firefox and Libre and Nautilus....easier just to run the fatter ubuntu. I'm not a unity fan - I just tolerate it. BTW, seems to me ubuntu is less sluggish on saucy than it was on pangolin.

BTW, booting saucy off a $80 SSD (fast!) USB case $20 because I don't trust the unstable ubuntu development level - could clobber the main hard drive esp. the boot....I keep windows 7 as well as stable ubuntu's on the hard drive for when I pass the pc on....I've had to do a grub rescue several times over the last few months.

Hmmm. Wonder what Peppermint OS is. I occasionally run Linux Mint because it's more user friendly about proprietary code than ubuntu is.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by jerrylamos View Post
    I boot the .iso directly from the hard drive much (!) faster than USB with an entry like this:
    Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/grub.d/40_custom
    #!/bin/sh
    exec tail -n +3 $0
    # This file provides an easy way to add custom menu entries.  Simply type the
    # menu entries you want to add after this comment.  Be careful not to change
    # the 'exec tail' line above.
    menuentry "saucy64 13.10" {
    set isofile="/saucy-desktop-amd64.iso"
    loopback loop (hd0,6)$isofile 
    linux (loop)/casper/vmlinuz.efi boot=casper iso-scan/filename=$isofile noprompt noeject
    initrd (loop)/casper/initrd.lz
    }
    sudo chmod 777 /etc/grub.d/40_custom
    sudo update-grub
    boot and choose the entry
    where the .iso is on partition 6 in my case, note the hd0,6 which would have to be altered for wherever you put the .iso.
    then when the .iso is loaded, do a
    sudo umount -rl /dev/sda6
    install as normal.
    Now note saucy is vmlinux.efi I don't know if the lubuntu vmlinuz is a .efi or not. Under file manager I open the .iso and look into the folder casper to see what the vmlinuz is.
    I learned this method from a post of yours some years ago, and it's a great way for testing. The only difference now is that we have to look out for UEFI
    I was running lubuntu on an IBM Thinkpad ~ 2005 vintage, 1.5 gHz Pentium M which ubuntu doesn't support any more. Then the thinkpad died.
    Too bad that old gem died for you My Thinkpad is still running, and I keep its Lubuntu version up to date with fake-PAE

This is a 1.66 gHz Atom dual processor 1 GB netbook $250 with a 1600x900 external monitor $89 and wireless keyboard & mouse $20 running saucy ubuntu O.K. I like lubuntu fine provided I installed Firefox and Libre and Nautilus....easier just to run the fatter ubuntu. I'm not a unity fan - I just tolerate it. BTW, seems to me ubuntu is less sluggish on saucy than it was on pangolin.

BTW, booting saucy off a $80 SSD (fast!) USB case $20 because I don't trust the unstable ubuntu development level - could clobber the main hard drive esp. the boot....I keep windows 7 as well as stable ubuntu's on the hard drive for when I pass the pc on....I've had to do a grub rescue several times over the last few months.

Hmmm. Wonder what Peppermint OS is. I occasionally run Linux Mint because it's more user friendly about proprietary code than ubuntu is.
    I agree, a small SSD drive in an external box with USB 3 and eSATA connections is quite good for testing new versions (daily builds) in several computers. (I have a 60 GB OCZ-AGILITY3 in an AKASA box). I'm also booting from USB 3 pendrives (Sandisk Extreme), which is quite an improvement compared to regular USB 2 pendrives even in USB 2 ports because the flash hardware is not limiting the speed.

Beans
    Distro

Saucy lubuntu amd64 up and running on:

Acer Aspire One D255E Intel Atom dual processor 1.66 gHz 1G storage

External 1600x900 monitor, wireless keyboard and mouse

USB external SSD drive, lubuntu saucy 64 installed along with ubuntu saucy 64, peppermint3 32 bit, ringtail amd64.

Internal hard drive has Windows 7 plus stable ubuntu's pangolin, ringtail, meerkat, swap

wireless hidden which is a pain on all the ubuntu's since pangolin, boot up declares it is "out of range". It's not. ubuntu refuses to use the password until manually going into systems settings and choosing hidden network which ubuntu already has the password for. Yes there's a launchpad bug. I think it is a network manager policy decision to refuse to connect to a hidden network even though that's the only one and network manager already has the password. Pangolin just comes up and autoconnects, same hardware and network.

Lubuntu install slower than peppermint (based on lubuntu ringtail I think) partly because of the apt-get install lubuntu-restricted-extras. Peppermint is user friendly and has that stuff already. Also lubuntu about 10% larger than peppermint some of which likely the 64 bit which takes more disk space.

I don't care for Abiword example copying internet pages with embedded graphics. In the past on lubuntu I've replaced abi with Libre which does what I want to do. I haven't tried peppermint's gwoffice or whatever it is, apparently web based, or the on-line web based Zoho. I haven't gotten into the online google docs either.

Chromium did BBC and NYTimes videos after installing lubuntu-restricted-extras. I prefer firefox (which is smaller on the disk) but am tolerating chromium at the moment. I do have Google Chrome installed on saucy on another test pc.

I have run Xubuntu in the past, I prefer lubuntu, and also Kubuntu on Ringtail. At my level of expertise (not) I have a lot of trouble doing things on Kubuntu, more keystrokes, don't know how to setup some of my preferences, etc. Someone else can test Xubuntu and Kubuntu.

Well anyway no bugs or difficulties on lubuntu I don't have on saucy.
    Last edited by jerrylamos; May 21st, 2013 at 09:01 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Thread closed. Please start a thread if you have problems that you want to discuss.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12