Thread: Can't connect to school network secured with WPA & WPA2 Enterprise

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Can't connect to school network secured with WPA & WPA2 Enterprise

Using Ubuntu 13.04 I can't connect to my school network.
    It is secured with WPA & WPA2 Enterprise and I have to enter my username and password school provided.
    This does work on Windows 7, and it has worked with Xubuntu 12.10 in the past, but now it just won't connect.

Some screenshots of the errors:
    The screen I have to enter my personal information

Some kind of warning, I always choose ignore because I don't have any certificate authority file on my pc.

When disconnecting from the network (even though it hasn't connected), and then reconnect without disabeling wireless

So it tries to connect, and then just comes up with a screen in which I have to enter my password again. I enter my password and some time later the same screen pop-ups again.

Edit: Fixed
    I made some screenshots in Windows of connection settings, and I found out Ubuntu tried to connect with the Tunneled TLS method, while Windows was connecting with Protected EAP.
    So I changed the connection to Protected EAP, entered my login, and it connected fine.
    Last edited by PureTryOut; February 10th, 2014 at 02:41 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Can't connect to school network secured with WPA & WPA2 Enterprise

Is there nobody that knows what's wrong here? I now have to use Windows 7 every time on school just because the network is not working, even though I would like to use Ubuntu as much as I can.

Beans

Have you spoken to your school's IT department yet? They are more likely to know the answer than we.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Well the problem is they are not into Linux/Unix. My school is sponsored by Microsoft which means almost everything is Windows based.
    Nobody could help me here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Off topic:

Therefore, your school is patronizing you and is dictating to the students which OS they shall use? Otherwise they are eliminating MAC- and Linux-users from network access? How much do they get from MS?

On topic: Ask the Windows users if they have the respective certificate on their computers and try to copy it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

You said in your first post that it works on Win7 -- then go into Win7 and see what the settings are for the CA certificate. You won't be able to connect without that.
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Could you explain to me how to do this? I don't have much experience with networking...
    Last edited by PureTryOut; May 24th, 2013 at 05:52 PM. Reason: Typo

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

OK in the meantime I fixed it myself. I made some screenshots in Windows of connection settings, and I found out Ubuntu tried to connect with the Tunneled TLS method, while Windows was connecting with Protected EAP.
    So I changed the connection to Protected EAP, entered my login, and it connected fine.

Thanks for your help guys!