Thread: How to run,install or mount Programs?

Beans

Exclamation How to run,install or mount Programs?

i am brand new to Linux. So here i am installed Ubuntu on my computer as a second operation system next to Win7. everything works and all the only problem is... i dont get how to run,install or mount programs... for example i was trying to install my first program called Brutos of this lovely website http://www.hoobie.net/brutus/ and it downloads and all but when i open it, it says that this file ziped or cannot b found. so i extract it as u would normally in windows do but it gives me the same error message... please anybody help me out...

Beans

Re: How to run,install or mount Programs?

From the website, it doesn't seem that this program is available for Linux. There is this quote at the top:

Brutus is one of the fastest, most flexible remote password crackers you can get your hands on - it's also free. It is available for Windows 9x, NT and 2000, there is no UN*X version available although it is a possibility at some point in the future.
    As for why it doesn't work in Windows, well, it is quite old and appears to be available only for Windows 2000 and earlier. It's probably not compatible with modern operating systems.

To answer the other part of your question, for most software you will need in Ubuntu, you can download it and automatically install it from the Ubuntu Software Center (or other utilities like Synaptic or apt-get from the command line). There are other ways as well, and depending on the program you may need to unzip or untar it yourself and install it manually, or even compile it from source code. Most programs will be supported through the Software Center, though.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Hello and Welcome

Software is installed via the Ubuntu Software Center. Windows .exe programs won't run in Linux without support software such as Crossover or Wine which is in the software center. http://www.winehq.org/

Wine runs some programs well and others not so well or not at all.
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans

I think it start to sink in a little. thank you guys

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Linux is not a free version of MS Windows; instead, it is a free alternative to MS Windows. IF your goal in switching to Linux involves reinstalling and running your favorite Windows apps, then you're setting yourself up for a major disappointment. Instead, you should be looking into Linux alternatives to your Windows apps.
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

squakie is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hey - are we even allowed to get involved with a password cracking program??

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Considering the application you are trying to install and level of knowledge I wonder what you are trying to accomplish? Saving your daughters files from a pc when she forgot her password or cracking passwords for educational purposes or cracking passwords for illicit activities?

In any case, perhaps BackTrack might be of some help http://www.backtrack-linux.org/ rather than finding all the tools yourself and add to Ubuntu.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Password cracking not supported here.

Thread closed.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.