Thread: Kernel 3.9.0.2 seems to be working better than 3.9.0.1

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Kernel 3.9.0.2 seems to be working better than 3.9.0.1

Have NOT tried a Cold Boot Up yet (where I had my problem) but Ubuntu Kernel 3.9.0.2 seems to be working better than 3.9.0.1 on my 2010 Dell Inspiron Zino 400 HD Desktop PC! Just FYI!
    2013 Dell Inspiron 15 3521 Laptop, 2010 Dell Inspiron 1012 Mini Net Book, 2010 Dell Inspiron Zino HD 400, Sprint Samsung Galaxy S4, and Apple IPad Mini WIFI Only.

Beans
    Distro

Re: Kernel 3.9.0.2 seems to be working better than 3.9.0.1

Cold Boot on 3.9.0.2 works just fine on my 2010 Dell Inspiron Zino 400 HD PC!
    2013 Dell Inspiron 15 3521 Laptop, 2010 Dell Inspiron 1012 Mini Net Book, 2010 Dell Inspiron Zino HD 400, Sprint Samsung Galaxy S4, and Apple IPad Mini WIFI Only.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I just updated my atom powered netbook, I got a kernel panic while installing the kernel, but after going into recovery mode, and selecting dpkg from the menu, and letting it do it's thing. I selected resume, it booted to a black screen without even a flashing cursor. A reboot solved all the problems, and I'm posting from it now.

Code:
    cariboo@redstone:~$ uname -a
    Linux redstone 3.9.0-2-generic #6-Ubuntu SMP Tue May 14 16:55:36 UTC 2013 i686 i686 i686 GNU/Linux
    and

Code:
    cariboo@redstone:~$ gnome-shell --version
    GNOME Shell 3.9.1
    The only problem I'm running into, is I keep trying to bumping the mouse up against the left edge, even though I'm running Gnome shell on this system. I guess I've been spending to much time in Unity.

Beans
    Distro

This is an Intel Atom N455 in an Acer Aspire One D255E running Saucy amd64 updated to 19 May O.K. cli df is showing disk space usage growing so I may try an install soon. purge linux-image, linux-headers and remove, autoremove don't get rid of all the oudated code. Out of laziness I'm running unity just because that's the way ubuntu comes lately. - I'm no unity fan.
    Last edited by jerrylamos; May 19th, 2013 at 02:11 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jerrylamos View Post
    This is an Intel Atom N455 in an Acer Aspire One D255E running Saucy updated to 19 May O.K. cli df is showing disk space usage growing so I may try an install soon. purge linux-image, linux-headers and remove, autoremove don't get rid of all the oudated code. Out of laziness I'm running unity just because that's the way ubuntu comes lately. - I'm no unity fan.
    In cases like that I break my principles and use gtk-orphan...

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by zika View Post
    In cases like that I break my principles and use gtk-orphan...
    Thanks....I took a look at gtkorphan. Looks like I could wipe out saucy pretty easily if I didn't know what I was doing, which is the case. Install cleans things up and is a no-think solution....might turn up a ubiquity bug who knows.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

This is an Intel Atom N455 in an Acer Aspire One D255E running Saucy amd64 updated to 19 May O.K. cli df is showing disk space usage growing so I may try an install soon. purge linux-image, linux-headers and remove, autoremove don't get rid of all the oudated code. Out of laziness I'm running unity just because that's the way ubuntu comes lately. - I'm no unity fan.
    It's only natural that the size of your install grows, as you use it. First off if you do updates, all the downloaded packages are stored in /var/cache/apt/archives, it's easy enough to get rid of them, as for unused kernel and obsolete packages, synaptic shows you them, and easily allows you to remove them. One other thing to keep in mind, is that logging is always active, and the logs themselves get larger each time you use the system. Logrotate, installed by default, creates archives, daily, or weekly depending on the log. You can remove those without incurring any problems.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Thanks....I took a look at gtkorphan. Looks like I could wipe out saucy pretty easily if I didn't know what I was doing, which is the case. Install cleans things up and is a no-think solution....might turn up a ubiquity bug who knows.
    Yes, that is true, but... I do not mind thinking, though... I'm not sure that my thinking produces desirable result but at least I do try...

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post