Thread: How to disable power button?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

How to disable power button?

As I have mentioned the school MinecraftEDU server before, now I need to disable the power button. The computer is in a place where many kids are a lot, so we need the power button disabled so nobody can turn off the computer. I tried just unplugging the power button, and it didn't like me for doing so. All the fans sped up and the hardware went a bit nuts. I haven't figured out how to disable it through the software, which is Ubuntu 12.04 64-bit. I hope someone can help!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: How to disable power button?

Bump.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

look in the power management options, there is a option for do nothing when the button is pressed
    no effect on hold 10 seconds though
    try unplugging the button with the system off, enable a keyboard boot feature in the bios
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Or try moving the button to a location where it can only be accessed with a key (a physical one). This would require some do-it-yourselfing. You would be able to start/hard reboot the computer the same way as turning the ignition key of a car.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Fully stopping the power button would only be possible on hardware level, the operating system (or any software) can't do that for you, and the system will still need to have the button somewhere to work. You could of course relocate it inside the case, or use a case where the power button is behind a lockable door or something.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Do more than unplug the power on/off switch - unplug it and short the link out so the connection to the motherboard is still made. Is there a power off switch on the back of the of the PSU? Use that to power off while you do this. The case power off switch is more than a simple make/break switch. There are sensors on the motherboard to detect when it is held in for more than 4 seconds. That link to the motherboard needs to be maintained.

You could also detach the power on/off switch from the case and let it dangle inside. Put tape over the hole. Or a rubber grommit to plug the hole.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530