Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting refund for preloaded Windows 8

Beans

Getting refund for preloaded Windows 8

I just bought a new laptop and, I usually just wipe Windows off and install Linux but, a long time ago, I read about being able to get a refund for Windows if I refuse the EULA or something like that. Based on what I read, Microsoft could either give me the refund or tell me to return the laptop upon not accepting the EULA. Is that true or can I just get the refund without a problem?

I have yet to open, or even boot, the laptop.

Does anyone have experience with this kind of situation?

If more information is needed, just ask.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!
    Apps for Ubuntu (outdated) ---> http://cid-23a283fc1010a1bb.skydrive...%20Wine|6?uc=1
    Use Mnemosyne to Study for School!

Beans

Re: Getting refund for preloaded Windows 8

sounds right, just call microsoft anbd ask for the refund.
    I dont think they will put up too much of a fight.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Depending on the licence version (OEM or other) it may be a bit tricky, not tried it myself but interesting article here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_refund

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

This pops up from time to time and will probably end up in Recurring Discussions. A bind. Did you look around for a laptop with Ubuntu pre-loaded? System76 or Alienware (or Dell and other manufacturers in some countries). You may want to have a look at this:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...windows+refund

(Simple solution with a desktop is, of course, roll your own, but our hands are tied when it comes to laptops, unfortunately. Frustrating.)
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; May 19th, 2013 at 03:59 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

i have seen this discussed in various places and some people use to get a refund but now i have seen anyone get one because the licence gets accepted at the manufacturer/factory stage.

you could try but i don't think you will get one.

Beans

It didn't work for me so don't waste your time. It's cheaper to just get a PC with Windows and get ripped off by the Windows tax, either that or you buy a specially-built Linux PC with no Windows OEM. Since you bought a PC with Windows you might as well not bother trying to get a refund, just accept it as it is.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

I bought a budget desktop with Windows 7 on it a couple years ago; I simply dual-boot, using Window for the only thing it's good for: playing games that don't work in wine. My second internal hard drive is my /home partition.

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by s3a View Post
    I just bought a new laptop and, I usually just wipe Windows off and install Linux but, a long time ago, I read about being able to get a refund for Windows if I refuse the EULA or something like that. Based on what I read, Microsoft could either give me the refund or tell me to return the laptop upon not accepting the EULA. Is that true or can I just get the refund without a problem?
    Quote Originally Posted by Set The World Afire View Post
    It didn't work for me so don't waste your time. It's cheaper to just get a PC with Windows and get ripped off by the Windows tax...
    At this point, the ******* tax is minimal if passed on to you at all - the consumer. The cost of ******* pre-loaded is off-set by the additional crap-ware and ad-ware loaded on the system. So in most cases, you are just purchasing hardware - even though ******* is pre-loaded.

The kid at the Buy More store was kind enough to let me test my live Linux CD with a display model. Purchased the Toshiba Satellite c655-s5503 with ******* pre-loaded. First boot up was with a Linux live CD, tested, then wiped the hard drive and installed Linux. Sale purchase of Toshiba Satellite with ******* tax erased by crap-ware I never even saw

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I realize this thread is a bit old, but just in case the question is still relevant: I just bought an Acer Aspire V3-771G laptop with Windows 8 preinstalled. I then followed these instructions from the Acer website: http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers...indows20refund
    This was the reply I got:
    Dear xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx,

Thank you for contacting Acer America. The refund amount for the version of Windows 8 ML on your system is $61.90US. You will need to ship the system to our repair depot and I will provide that address in a later reply. I need to register the system to you in order to set up the repair. You will need to include any recovery media you have created with the unit. Please provide your street address and phone number, business name if applicable.

Respectfully,
    Acer America
    Online Technical Support
    I hope this information is still helpful.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

DeathByDenim, but won't you have to pay the shipping?
    "Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." Will Rogers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast