Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 13.04 Not worth the trouble

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Re: 13.04 Not worth the trouble

I always do a clean install, having read too many upgrade horror stories here and elsewhere. That said, I was having some booting issues with the default Kubuntu 13.04 kernel, something to do with ipv6 and plymouth (I didn't research it very thoroughly). Installing the 3.9x kernel fixed the issues.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    Saying it works for me, makes as much sense as saying all 3 installs screwed up, without going into details. For the majority of us, most release versions just work, with no drama. Usually the people that run into problems, really aren't all the well versed in fixing problems when they run into them.
    Majority of people either have the wisdom not to upgrade or are too proud to admit they got lucky again and survived the new round of problems, which may not have manifested in their entirety.

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bela42 View Post

Like this, there will be just failure in both markets.
    You are generalizing much. Ubuntu 13.04 does work well for many people, the review has been very positive say comparing to 12.10. By way of a comparison, I have in addition to Ubuntu 13.04, Debian SId and Fedora 18 running on the same machine, Ubuntu 13.04 is the most solid and painless of the three, Debian turns out to be most problematic with hardware.
    Last edited by monkeybrain2012; May 18th, 2013 at 10:39 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Oh how surprised we are that raring is working fine foe you and you and you. What exactly is the point of those inevitable "works fine" chorus every time a user does point out some problems? Do you suggest the OP is just too stupid or has bad karma?
    I suggest nothing about the ops karma or intelligence . Ununtu 13.04 - AMD 64X II Nvidia 8 series graphics card / 313 .30 driver 4GB of Kingston ram. Very average hardware with a clean installation.
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

bela42
    What exactly is the point of those inevitable "works fine" chorus every time a user does point out some problems? Do you suggest the OP is just too stupid or has bad karma?
    I've often thought it was a defensive reaction - which is really unnecessary. Not only that, but it's been my observation, that it does little to improve OP's frustrations.

Staying with LTS's has proved to be a rewarding policy and using a petition or separate HDD allows testing of new releases prior to committing. The best solution IMHO is to try all new releases and assure they're fully functional, then decide if the upgrade is beneficial.

With 5 home systems running Xubuntu and following the LTS policy, we've had zero issues. Stability, is one of my demands and the LTS's have consistently delivered.

Just my $0.02
    "All change is not growth, as all movement is not forward."
    Ellen Glasgow

Beans

It sounds like you have older hardware. It has become apparent that the kernels are dropping support for older hardware sooner these days. Then again i,m an old fart so i remember the old days....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12