Thread: need to get rid of 11.10 without login

Beans

need to get rid of 11.10 without login

I am still very new to ubuntu, I don't know exactly what is going on. about a year ago I installed 11.10 and began having issues with crashes. its been quite some time now, ive forgotton my password and attempted to change it through recovery mode using sudo passwd command. now i cannot log in at all. my ultimate goal at this point is to get rid of 11.10 and use an older ubuntu if possible. again i am way out of practice and dont hardly remember how to work ubuntu... Help? thanks!

Beans

Re: need to get rid of 11.10 without login

Try to install Ubuntu 12.04 and see how it goes. If you have some data you would like to backup first use Live Session from install media and use file manager to find the data and copy it on your backup storage.

Older releases are no longer supported and i don't recommend them that is why you should try Ubuntu 12.04+.

Beans

the issue i had is that i am running a netbook with not a whole lot ram... its older, i am hoping to salvage it if i can. i think 11.10 may have been too much for it, do you think 12.04 will work?
    '

Beans

How much ram does it have?

Beans

i want to say two?

Beans

Let's fix the original problem first:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kEBeq6Uc3Y

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Get a live disk, boot from it and rescue any files you want to an external drive. Then install. If Ubuntu 11.10 ran on that machine, then Xubuntu 12.04 should run too.

When you say your RAM is about 2, does that mean 2GiB? In that case RAM should not be a problem.