Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Chromium Likely to Replace Firefox

Beans

Chromium Likely to Replace Firefox

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2013/05/c...wser-in-ubuntu

I think it's too soon for something like this to happen. Ubuntu usually does follow trends and chooses the most used app for one task as default but i doubt currently user ratio between Chromium and Firefox is in favor of Chromium and i doubt solid facts could be made by users why one and not the other... It would probably end up as bad PR stunt on top of recent accusations about less privacy and Dash and developing Mir behind closed doors... because FF is powerful brand in FOSS world and beyond and making it second class citizen in Ubuntu well you decide but in my opinion it would just end up as bad PR stunt ATM with no clear benefits!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Chromium Likely to Replace Firefox

I use Google Chrome on a Nook HD+ and I've a Chromebook. For whatever reason the two browsers are somewhat different in options and choices example how bookmarks are handled/stored/used. Also among other things, the Chromebook will do BBC & NYTimes videos while the Google Chrome on the Nook HD+ will not (nice 9" screen, very sharp).

I've been using Firefox since whenever (Dapper Drake Beta) and for me at this point Firefox is distinctly easier to use and more versatile, I can do what I want with less keystrokes/mouse actions, etc. My wife uses Firefox on Microsoft (she supports a couple web sites with Dreamweaver not available on Linux).

So maybe (?) I'll be able to install the browser I prefer on ubuntu.

Beans

Google Chrome is not the same thing as Chromium browser.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Quote Originally Posted by EgoGratis View Post
    Google Chrome is not the same thing as Chromium browser.

I have Chromium Browser on one of my installs. I installed it by chance(because I erroneously thought that firefox had borked - ended up ..too many tabs). Thing is Chromium works very well in place of FF but I use FF out of convenience, not necessarily because it is better.

Beans

...not necessarily because it is better.
    And the other way around too i guess... That is why i said:

...and i doubt solid facts could be made by users why one and not the other...

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

To be honest I use both and don't really care, it's just a default. I use one browser for all my browsing and another for logging into stuff I'm more security conscious about (webmail, etc.). What I don't like about chrome(ium) is that in fullscreen (F11) you can't switch between tabs (use that often on screens 1280 wide, 768 high, or less). Though chrome(ium) does a better job in separating the different tabs in memory (so that pages can't spy on each other, I heard).

In any case I'll always use the default plus another browser, maybe ubuntu should just have 2 default browsers too

Beans

Yes i do believe both are more or less capable to do the job but ATM i don't believe Chromium has any meaningful advantage over Firefox and it will probably end up just as bad PR stunt -> look Ubuntu is ... Firefox. Use your imagination to replace ...

Does Ubuntu need this or should things with Dash and Mir... settle down and Chromium demand to go up (if the demand will go up) before this step is actually considered?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

In short, Chrome is the Chromium open source project built, packaged, and distributed by Google, but there are differences between them, being the following the most important:
    • Video and audio tags AAC, MP3, Vorbis and Theora in Chrome and Vorbis and Theora by default in Chromium;
    • Adobe Flash custom (non-free) plugin included in Chrome releases and Chromium supports NPAPI plugins, including the one from Adobe;
    • PDF support custom (non-free) plugin included in Chrome releases and Chromium downloads and displays with system PDF viewer.

I must say I've never been a Firefox user. I made the migration from Opera to Chrome back in 2009 and since then it has been my browser of choice
    So, the question of Firefox eventually come to be replaced by Chromium in future editions of Ubuntu, will only be considered by me if I can not solve the continuous crashes that since my upgraded to Saucy, Chrome is continuously suffering, although I suspect that Omnibox's Black Menu extension is the culprit.

Beans

Yes Chrome is a different thing and i do imagine majority users not using Firefox choose Chrome over Chromium...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Yes, Chrome is nicer with the built in pdf reader and the pepperflash, which gives you CURRENT adobe flash which we no longer get on linux with the adobe flash we get in the restricted extras package...the reason for this is adobe no longer makes flash for linux (though the old flash will be supported for 5 years) but they have an agreement with Chrome to provide the latest versions in pepper...also, it adds a ppa for automatic updated versions of Chrome through ubuntu software manager....

It's a shame they can't make Chrome (rather then Chromium) the default browser as it really stands out...but the ubuntu developers apparently can't because of licensing issues...I like firefox but i LOVE chrome
    Last edited by craig10x; May 17th, 2013 at 03:33 AM.

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast