Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Chromium Likely to Replace Firefox

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Chromium Likely to Replace Firefox

Using chrome on Android, has ruined it form. It just doesn't feel right any more. It could be that it is to locked down for my usage, as I can't add any of the scripts we normally use for forum administration. I use chromium for about 98% of my browsing, and everything works as it should for me. There was even a flash update in yesterdays updates.

I really don't care if it's added as the default browser, as I use a script to install all the packages I normally use, and chromium gets installed regardless.

Beans

The session video link is this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeM75ukJwYg

I asked whether they've been able to fix the build issues that plagued Chromium (for Ubuntu). The version in the repo usually lags Chrome stable. The answer I got, which I totally don't understand, is that the problem has been fixed since December.
    I don't understand the answer because, as of now, Chrome stable is v26 (26.0.1410.63). Whereas Chromium in the repo is v25 (25.0.1364.160-0ubuntu3) .

Another reason I don't understand is that the "webapps" things will go better with WebKit. I thought people were going for an OS-agnostic garden-wall-less internet but as I said, I don't understand

I feel it's a decision that's been made already because Chrome's browser-market share also was brought out to justify the change. That was hilarious.

From what I gather, there are a couple of serious issues to be dealt with. One is that Mozilla has a sort of pre-disclosure agreement with Canonical re. security so that Canonical's Mozilla Team has time to adjust. They're going to talk to Google about something similar. My gut feeling as a total outsider is that Google won't be happy about doing the same. Partly, it's because they've repeatedly portrayed Chromium as something for testers and developers and not for end-users.

Anyway, let's hope things work out for the best. And, in any case, it's just a matter of end-users installing what they want which would only take a few minutes, even on a lousy connection.

Beans
    Distro

I would hope NOT as I prefer Mozilla Firefox over Google Chrome on both my Dell PC and my Samsung Galaxy S4!
    2013 Dell Inspiron 15 3521 Laptop, 2010 Dell Inspiron 1012 Mini Net Book, 2010 Dell Inspiron Zino HD 400, Sprint Samsung Galaxy S4, and Apple IPad Mini WIFI Only.

Beans
    Distro

I love testing the Mozilla Firefox Nightly Builds @ http://nightly.mozilla.org/
    2013 Dell Inspiron 15 3521 Laptop, 2010 Dell Inspiron 1012 Mini Net Book, 2010 Dell Inspiron Zino HD 400, Sprint Samsung Galaxy S4, and Apple IPad Mini WIFI Only.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

You know, it's not that big a deal because if your prefer firefox you can install it in about 2 or 3 minutes on the software center...and even if chromium is the default, i am still going to have to download Chrome from google's website and have it installed in the software center because i like the extra features that Chrome provides over Chromium...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by craig10x View Post
    You know, it's not that big a deal because if your prefer firefox you can install it in about 2 or 3 minutes on the software center...and even if chromium is the default, i am still going to have to download Chrome from google's website and have it installed in the software center because i like the extra features that Chrome provides over Chromium...
    Exactly.

Beans
    Distro

If there will be a way to official release for us a Chromium with the pepper-flash which only Google Chrome uses, then it's ok.

Firefox has an inbuilt PDF reader already.

But on the other side, Firefox has also really strong interest for a really _open_ web, what Google doesn't have (for example see the actual problem with DRM in HTML5).

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by craig10x View Post
    Just one more thing to do after an install. I greatly prefer FF over C...

Beans
    Distro

I have always used Opera as my main browser with chrome ( not chromium ) as my alternate and will continue to do so . Since we have several choices available to install what they use as default matters little .
    if it ain't broke you haven't tweaked it enough

Beans
    Distro

Opera?

Hear! Hear!
    Intel ® P4 Extreme Edition 3.4 (Gallatin) || DFI ® LanParty PRO875B rev B1
    Crucial ® Ballistix Tracer PC4000 1GB || Mountain Mods U2-UFO Opti-1203
    XFX 7600GT 560M AGP (PV-T73A-UDF3) || Corsair HX520W Modular PSU

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast