Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Chromium Likely to Replace Firefox

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Chromium Likely to Replace Firefox

Does Firefox have a built in flash player? I do not think so. I had to install Adobe Flash plugin-in from the Software Centre and it worked with Chromium as well. So, the issue of being unable to play/replay TV programs (BBC Player, ITV Player - UK TV companies) is the same for both Firefox and Chromium.

I wonder how things will turn out when the Dash becomes a fully functional search engine. Will clicking on a TV channel open a web browser or a video player? At the moment it opens the default web browser at the TV company web page. Which will not play without Adobe flash player for Linux installed.

Thinking about this, (I know I shouldn't think. It overheats my brain) that session would have been more beneficial discussing how to help the Chromium developers get pepper flash into Chromium. After that happens will be the time to recommend Chromium as the default browser and it would be because it is open source and does not require additional user interaction to get videos playing.

Regards.
    Last edited by grahammechanical; May 17th, 2013 at 04:53 PM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

Thinking about this, (I know I shouldn't think. It overheats my brain) that session would have been more beneficial discussing how to help the Chromium developers get pepper flash into Chromium. After that happens will be the time to recommend Chromium as the default browser and it would be because it is open source and does not require additional user interaction to get videos playing.
    If it would be that simple Flash player could be bundled in Ubuntu and Firefox users would not have to install it manually. I doubt Flash player will ever be bundled by default in Chromium first it would need to go open source and then it would need appropriate license...

Anyway i will continue to use Firefox on Ubuntu for now and i will left the decisions like what rendering engine Firefox will use and how to act when it come to flash... to Mozilla and not (indirectly by switching to Chromium) to Canonical but yes Canonical has every right to choose default browser for Ubuntu but i don't necessarily have to agree with that decision and i will decide when and if it happens how does this affect me and what (if anything) to do about it!
    Last edited by EgoGratis; May 17th, 2013 at 05:42 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    The session video link is this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeM75ukJwYg
    More people should have been at that UDS, I think we need to do more to advertise it.
    // Blog

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    Does Firefox have a built in flash player? I do not think so. I had to install Adobe Flash plugin-in from the Software Centre and it worked with Chromium as well. So, the issue of being unable to play/replay TV programs (BBC Player, ITV Player - UK TV companies) is the same for both Firefox and Chromium.

I wonder how things will turn out when the Dash becomes a fully functional search engine. Will clicking on a TV channel open a web browser or a video player? At the moment it opens the default web browser at the TV company web page. Which will not play without Adobe flash player for Linux installed.

Thinking about this, (I know I shouldn't think. It overheats my brain) ...

Regards.
    Put a bag of ice on it because we need your overheated brain!
    This is Rolling Release
    Warnings for New Beta Testers& Helpful Terminal Commands:
    Running Trusty /devel/@ 5.120GHz32bit/ Please put [ prefix] on New Threads!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by miegiel View Post
    To be honest I use both and don't really care, it's just a default. I use one browser for all my browsing and another for logging into stuff I'm more security conscious about (webmail, etc.). What I don't like about chrome(ium) is that in fullscreen (F11) you can't switch between tabs (use that often on screens 1280 wide, 768 high, or less). Though chrome(ium) does a better job in separating the different tabs in memory (so that pages can't spy on each other, I heard).

In any case I'll always use the default plus another browser, maybe ubuntu should just have 2 default browsers too
    Two defaults, haha. I'm just happy with Firefox since Chromium takes slightly longer than Firefox to load.
    John J. Kim (IRC: kotux)
    High School Senior / Ubuntu User # 35405
    www.launchpad.net/~kotux
    "Let your performance do the thinking." --Charlotte Bronte

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

It seems to me they are likely to forge ahead with it, based on the webkit backend and that discussion video. I also use two browsers, one for general surfing and one for opening things like gmail and facebook and the multitude of cookies that go along with those sites.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Chromium Likely to Replace Firefox

There are a lot of things I don't like about chromium. I don't like the addon icons going in the address bar. They all look different and they are inconsistan. I don't like the way script blocking works in chrome. The themes suck.

You can not do this with chrome.
    Last edited by BigCityCat; May 18th, 2013 at 12:40 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by slickymaster View Post
    I must say I've never been a Firefox user. I made the migration from Opera to Chrome back in 2009 and since then it has been my browser of choice
    So, the question of Firefox eventually come to be replaced by Chromium in future editions of Ubuntu, will only be considered by me if I can not solve the continuous crashes that since my upgraded to Saucy, Chrome is continuously suffering, although I suspect that Omnibox's Black Menu extension is the culprit.
    I must agree with you here I was/am an avid Opera user but have started to favor Chromium. However, be heartened with Opera's transition, in the blink of an eye, to webkit, so I'm looking forward to future releases.

Chromium has impressed me since using it over the past 6 months or so though.
    = Fit as a butcher's dog =

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by epikvision View Post
    Two defaults, haha. I'm just happy with Firefox since Chromium takes slightly longer than Firefox to load.
    Chromium first boot/launch on my netbook with 5400 rpm hard drive much faster than Firefox

Here's what I noticed on my Saucy, new startup entry on gnome-session-properties. Chromium launch really fast now on my slow hard disk with btrfs file system!

Code:
    /usr/bin/chromium-browser --no-startup-window

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

On my system, chromium loads quite a bit faster than firefox. Here are my completely unscientific results

FIrefox:

• real 0m9.558s
    • user 0m5.912s
    • sys 0m0.608s

Chromium-browser:

• real 0m6.792s
    • user 0m1.164s
    • sys 0m0.356s

BTW, I used the time command:

Code:
    time firefox
    and

Code:
    time chromium-browser
    Last edited by cariboo907; May 18th, 2013 at 06:48 AM. Reason: added commands

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast