Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Chromium Likely to Replace Firefox

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Chromium Likely to Replace Firefox

I've been using Google Chrome (not Chromium) because it sync's with my ubuntu, chromebook, and tablets.
    Also, on Chromebook, the Google Chrome bookmarks are a tab which I find uses less screen than the side bar Firefox bookmarks.
    I'm interested in following Mozilla projects. We'll see how they do.

Beans

Yes BUT Chrome is not Chromium and with a bit of work you can set up your own Firefox Sync server and sync tabs/history/bookmarks... between all the devices Firefox run on.

But yes regular users don't want to host their own sync servers because they just want it to work... indeed that is why you can easily set up this and use Mozilla server you do know that? You can easily set-up account and sync history/tabs/bookmarks... between devices by using latest Firefox.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

As a Kubuntu user, all this matters to me not a whit. I always have to install Firefox since the default browsers are rekonq and Konqueror. No matter what happens, I'll continue to install Firefox.

I gave Chromium a test run during the recent period where the gtk2-engines-oxygen libraries caused FF to freeze on KDE systems. I cannot say I found it superior and once I installed the .deb to fix the problem, I'm back to using FF full-time.

Of course, I've been using various flavors of Firefox since it began life as Netscape!
    Last edited by SeijiSensei; June 14th, 2013 at 03:15 PM.
    If you ask for help, please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Chromium is not as polished as Chrome....you should try Chrome...Though i run ubuntu on my install, i have used chrome on kubuntu live sessions and it's always worked fine...
    Chrome doesn't just add the up to date flash plug in (pepper flash) and the built in pdf reader and automatic chrome updater ppa to your software sources, they also make various tweaks and stuff on the final product that they release...
    Last edited by craig10x; June 14th, 2013 at 04:25 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by EgoGratis View Post
    Google Chrome is not the same thing as Chromium browser.
    Exactly. That's why I'm using Google Chrome, the real thing, same as on my other electronic devices. BTW, I do a google search on Google Chrome Beta Linux then do a dpkg -i g*deb which hits a dependency, then apt-get -f install which fixes it.

For what I do my impression is Google Chrome is a little bit more convenient than Firefox, and of course gives me a more similar interface as on my chromebook, 7" tablet, 10" tablet (yes I'm an itinerant pc hobbyist, wait for a very good sale or refurb or whatever).

Not at all convinced Google Doc/Google Drive/Cloud/Drop Box whatever is the way to go, but I'll give Google Print a whirl. Never have been able to get Ubuntu One going comfortably, just tried again on U+1 and went down in flames. Likely incompetence on my part but does not seem to be nearly as seamless as the Google stuff. Picassa Web albums work fine. Don't understand Google+ for sharing photos yet.

BTW, Google Chrome is not as hung up on "licensing" as ubuntu/Firefox are. I'm not a developer so if something is available to the public and it's useful to me I'll use it.

Also BTW, Google Chrome internet video support distinctly better than Android for the devices I have. Firefox video is O.K. after checking the box on proprietary drivers on install.

Beans

Yes i think it's safe to say average user expects Firefox or Google Chrome on the desktop. Chromium being the default web browser would probably end up in large percentage of Ubuntu desktop users installing Firefox or Chrome.

I don't know what would be the point in that and to what purpose would the change serve if minority of users would settle with Chromium. Firefox is currently the only reasonable option to use (Google Chrome license issues) on the desktop and i don't see this changing in foreseeable future.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

I'm sure Google would be very happy to have Ubuntu use Chrome (not chromium) as the default browser, and would encourage them to do so....the resistance to that is likely more on the ubuntu side...because of their philosophy...

I think the only way that the majority of ubuntu users who like chrome would leave it on as their default, is if Canonical added a package including the pepperflash plug in, pdf reader (even if some kind of license agreement was needed for the end user to add it, much like is the case with the microsoft fonts that are available with ubuntu restricted extras)...

Also, they would need to keep Chromium updated versions as current as the Chrome ones are...

Then....i think most would not mind and would use Chromium as their browser (except for the die hard firefox users who would still want to install that and use it instead)...
    This is what the developers should be thinking about if it has to be Chromium and not Chrome for ubuntu...

If Ubuntu offers it like that, then i'd stick with Chromium instead of downloading and using Chrome instead...
    It's a shame probably none of the developers follow this thread here...I think this would be the more logical course to take if it HAS to be Chromium rather then Chrome...
    Last edited by craig10x; June 15th, 2013 at 05:24 PM.

Beans

This is unrealistic proposal and if it would be done it still wouldn't beat Firefox in any meaningful way it would just waste resources and it still wouldn't be Google Chrome user would expect to get if Firefox would be ditched. In all honesty looking at situation realistically Firefox can't be ditched if best possible/available browser that meets Ubuntu criteria on the desktop should be used.

That is about it.
    Last edited by EgoGratis; June 15th, 2013 at 08:52 PM.

Beans

The only way Chrome/Chromium is better than Firefox is in handling horribly coded IE6-dependent sites, otherwise Firefox is pretty much better in everything and has better extensions. Also, Mozilla IS more open than Google! edit. Chrome may be better for lazy programmers as Flash is built in, that may be the real reason for adopting it, but Flash works pretty well in Firefox when properly installed and HTML5 is as good as in Chrome.
    Last edited by xeizo; June 15th, 2013 at 08:56 PM.
    Ubuntu Gnome 13.10 Asus P5Q-DeLuxe C2Q Q9450@3.2GHz 8GB Nvidia GTX650Ti 1GB Asus Xonar Essence ST Crucial M4 64GB(system) 3TB storage Corsair VX450 Xigmatek Asgard

Beans

If Ubuntu would change it's policy and started to include binaries like Steam client BY DEFAULT and took all kind of agreements with different proprietary software providers... then this debate would probably make sense...

Until then i think Firefox is best choice on the desktop because ATM i don't see better alternative.

Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast