Thread: Help me pick out an Nvidea card...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Help me pick out an Nvidea card...

Currently I have 8GB of DDR3 and a 3.2 AMD X6 processor, so I don't think my issue is being caused in those areas. My video card is an ATI HD 5870 and while in my Windows partition it FLIES and can play games spread across all 3 of my monitors at a decent FPS.

However, trying to use Ubuntu with 3 monitors (not even gaming, it can do it like 5 fps gaming on the middle monitor) is terrible with it. My middle monitor flickers randomly, and when dragging or opening/closing any windows. It's pretty unusable to me. Drives me insaaane.

So I've given up on ATI, unless they miraculously fix it anytime soon. Yes I've tried the open source drivers and the proprietary and the beta and no luck anywhere. Which Nvidea card would you guys recommend that could support using Ubuntu with 3 monitors with NO FLICKER and game very well in Windows (heck, or Ubuntu even).

Mainly though, just want to replace my card with a $<500 Nvidea if possible, and still be able to play games in Windows on 3 screens and use Ubuntu on 3 with out it freaking out.

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Help me pick out an Nvidea card...

Also, I'd be interested in just picking up a laptop with a decent video card that will run Ubuntu well and just keeping my desktop as Windows, if anybody would like to recommend a laptop with an Nvidea card and that is from somewhere that offers financing, like Dell, HP, etc.