Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: unable to access 192.168.1.1 to set up Linksys E2500 router

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

unable to access 192.168.1.1 to set up Linksys E2500 router

I am trying to set up my new Linksys E2500 router according to the instructions here: http://kb.linksys.com/Linksys/ukp.as...articleid=3687
    and I am unable to connect to http://192.168.1.1

With the ethernet cable connecting my pc to the router I try (Note: I ran 'sudo route add default gw 192.168.1.1' before I connected the ethernet cable to the router and it ran without producing the error message that it did below):
    Code:
    sudo dhclient eth1
    RTNETLINK answers: File exists
    sudo route add default gw 192.168.1.1 
    SIOCADDRT: No such process
    sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart
     * Running /etc/init.d/networking restart is deprecated because it may not enable again some interfaces
     * Reconfiguring network interfaces...                                          
    Ignoring unknown interface eth1=eth1.
    My /etc/network/interfaces file:
    Code:
    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback
    Output of ifconfig:
    Code:
    eth1      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 38:60:77:d5:9b:27  
              inet6 addr: fe80::3a60:77ff:fed5:9b27/64 Scope:Link
              UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
              RX packets:112866 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
              TX packets:109055 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
              collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000 
              RX bytes:136856245 (136.8 MB)  TX bytes:13575572 (13.5 MB)
              Interrupt:20 Memory:fe700000-fe720000 

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback  
              inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
              inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
              UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
              RX packets:19800 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
              TX packets:19800 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
              collisions:0 txqueuelen:0 
              RX bytes:1609192 (1.6 MB)  TX bytes:1609192 (1.6 MB)

wlan0     Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:15:e9:f6:e5:c6  
              UP BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
              RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
              TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
              RX bytes:0 (0.0 B)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)
    Also, I disabled Network Manager a few weeks ago and have been using WICD without any problems. I followed the instructions here to disable without uninstalling: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ne...NetworkManager
    Code:
    sudo stop network-manager
    echo "manual" | sudo tee /etc/init/network-manager.override
    Would uninstalling NM also help?

Output of ifconfig with the ethernet cable connected to the modem and internet connection established:
    Code:
    eth1      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 38:60:77:d5:9b:27  
              inet addr:192.168.1.64  Bcast:192.168.1.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
              inet6 addr: fe80::3a60:77ff:fed5:9b27/64 Scope:Link
              UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
              RX packets:112928 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
              TX packets:109158 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
              RX bytes:136880676 (136.8 MB)  TX bytes:13594190 (13.5 MB)
              Interrupt:20 Memory:fe700000-fe720000 

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback  
              inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
              inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
              UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
              RX packets:20384 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
              TX packets:20384 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
              collisions:0 txqueuelen:0 
              RX bytes:1657400 (1.6 MB)  TX bytes:1657400 (1.6 MB)

wlan0     Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:15:e9:f6:e5:c6  
              UP BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
              RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
              TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
              RX bytes:0 (0.0 B)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)
    Is there a way to fix this or is there a problem with the router?
    Last edited by Vpc; May 26th, 2013 at 05:04 PM. Reason: more info

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: unable to access 192.168.1.1 to set up Linksys E2500 router

Can you ping your router, or is that also not working for some reason?

Are you certain that eth1 really is your ethernet connection; it does appear to be but I don't really know what your original dhclient command may have done.

What is the output of command route?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Hi Vpc.

I'm not familiar with WICD, but...

If Network-manager is disabled, the proper way to use the default networking stack (like in a server) would be to enable your ethernet interface (eth1) in /etc/network/interfaces:
    Code:
    # The loopback network interface
    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
    auto eth1
    iface eth1 inet dhcp
    and then restart the network:
    Code:
    sudo service networking restart
    Let us know how it goes.
    Regards.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by papibe View Post
    Hi Vpc.

I'm not familiar with WICD, but...

If Network-manager is disabled, the proper way to use the default networking stack (like in a server) would be to enable your ethernet interface (eth1) in /etc/network/interfaces:
    Code:
    # The loopback network interface
    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
    auto eth1
    iface eth1 inet dhcp
    and then restart the network:
    Code:
    sudo service networking restart
    Let us know how it goes.
    Regards.
    Hi papibe. After doing the above I was able to access 192.168.1.1 but when I get to step 4 of the set up instructions: http://kb.linksys.com/Linksys/ukp.as...articleid=3687
    I get the message "Can not get an IP address from PPPoE" when I try to connect. I reset the router as instructed e.g. by "unplugging the power adapter of the router for 30 seconds then plugging it back in" but the Internet IP address and DNS servers show zeroes even after that.

Also, when I ran 'sudo service networking restart' after editing '/etc/network/interfaces' I got:
    Code:
    stop: Unknown instance: 
    networking stop/waiting
    And when I ran 'sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart' after unplugging the router to reset it as described above, I got:
    Code:
     * Running /etc/init.d/networking restart is deprecated because it may not enable again some interfaces
     * Reconfiguring network interfaces...                               
     RTNETLINK answers: No such process
    The output of 'route':
    Code:
    Kernel IP routing table
    Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
    default           192.168.1.1     0.0.0.0            UG    100    0        0 eth1
    link-local            *               255.255.0.0      U     1000   0        0 eth1
    192.168.1.0        *               255.255.255.0    U     0      0        0 eth1
    Last edited by Vpc; May 16th, 2013 at 09:27 PM. Reason: more info

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Glad you are making progress.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vpc View Post
    ... when I ran 'sudo service networking restart' after editing '/etc/network/interfaces' I got:
    If you're able to get to the router, it means that your interface and networking capabilities are, for the most part, working. I wouldn't worry about that message.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vpc View Post
    ... but when I get to step 4 of the set up instructions: http://kb.linksys.com/Linksys/ukp.as...articleid=3687
    I get the message "Can not get an IP address from PPPoE" when I try to connect. I reset the router as instructed e.g. by "unplugging the power adapter of the router for 30 seconds then plugging it back in" but the Internet IP address and DNS servers show zeroes even after that.
    I'm afraid there's little that we can help you with that. It is very dependent on your ISP, and in some extent to Linksys.

Here are some thoughts:
    • Are you replacing your previous router? If so, make sure:
      • Your ISP allows you to do that.
      • Find out if you need to active your router's MAC with them.
      • Find out if there any other technical settings you need to set on the router in order to work with your ISP.
    • If you are connecting your new router to your existing modem or router, you should be use the 2nd alternative: DHCP.
    • Linksys has a relative 'decent' support in their website over chat. They may provide more troubleshooting ideas.

Let us know how it goes.
    Regards.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by papibe View Post
    Glad you are making progress.

If you're able to get to the router, it means that your interface and networking capabilities are, for the most part, working. I wouldn't worry about that message.

I'm afraid there's little that we can help you with that. It is very dependent on your ISP, and in some extent to Linksys.

Here are some thoughts:
    • Are you replacing your previous router? If so, make sure:
      • Your ISP allows you to do that.
      • Find out if you need to active your router's MAC with them.
      • Find out if there any other technical settings you need to set on the router in order to work with your ISP.
    • If you are connecting your new router to your existing modem or router, you should be use the 2nd alternative: DHCP.
    • Linksys has a relative 'decent' support in their website over chat. They may provide more troubleshooting ideas.

Let us know how it goes.
    Regards.
    I've used two other new routers (D-Link, TP Link) with this ISP without any problems. I always set it up the same way, using a PPPoE connection setting as described here:
    http://kb.linksys.com/Linksys/ukp.as...articleid=3687
    Basically I just do what's listed as step 2: "Enter the PPPoE Username and Password provided by your ISP" and nothing more too it. The only other setting is setting the password for the wireless. There are no other techinical settings. With this router, I just see the extra step in step 4, of having to restart the router by unplugging it. And after that, I still do not get a non-zero IP address and then I get the error "Can not get an IP address from PPPoE" when I try clicking the Connect button again. So how can I get an IP address from PPPoE? And why would I use DHCP instead of PPPoE?

Also, after re-starting the computer, I had to disable Network Manager again and now the output of 'route' has changed to:
    Code:
    Kernel IP routing table
    default         speedtouch.lan  0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0 eth1
    192.168.1.0     *               255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0 eth1
    Also, I cannot connect to the internet through the router (when it's connected to the modem). I only have internet access when the pc is directly connected to the modem.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

How have you got the modem set up? Is it in half-bridge mode i.e. assigning the external IP address to the router?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Irihapeti View Post
    How have you got the modem set up? Is it in half-bridge mode i.e. assigning the external IP address to the router?
    I configured my Speedtouch ST516 modem for PPPoE (the other choice is Bridging). I connected my pc directly to the modem for internet access. But I was also able to use it with the D-Link and TP Link routers (connected with a wired connection with others using the wireless connection). The last router I used with my modem was a TP Link 841N.

I don't know what half-bridge mode is or how to "assigning the external IP address to the router".

So is it the case for this Linksys E2500 that I have to use DHCP? What makes it different from the other routers that I have to used DHCP this time instead of PPPoE where I enter the username and password for my ISP?
    Last edited by Vpc; May 18th, 2013 at 02:40 AM. Reason: modem brand is Speedtouch, not Speedstream

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I just wondered - the IP routing table said "speedtouch.lan". I happen to have Speedtouch modem set up in half-bridge mode. Essentially, it means that the modem does the username-and-password thing with the ISP, and gets the external IP number. But the actual routing and firewall part is done by the router.

I think that if you want to use the router for the PPPOE connection, you need to put the modem in bridging mode. If you use the modem to make the connection, then the router needs to be set as an access point. Meaning that it just handles the passwords for wireless devices and that's all.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Irihapeti View Post
    I just wondered - the IP routing table said "speedtouch.lan". I happen to have Speedtouch modem set up in half-bridge mode. Essentially, it means that the modem does the username-and-password thing with the ISP, and gets the external IP number. But the actual routing and firewall part is done by the router.

I think that if you want to use the router for the PPPOE connection, you need to put the modem in bridging mode. If you use the modem to make the connection, then the router needs to be set as an access point. Meaning that it just handles the passwords for wireless devices and that's all.
    Thanks for the info. First, after disconnecting the ethernet cable from the modem (that connects to the pc) and connecting it to a port in the router, I was able to access 192.168.1.1 again after I used dhclient to refresh the IP address:
    Code:
    sudo dhclient -r
    sudo dhclient eth1
    Or run 'sudo service networking restart'. Run 'route' to check that the IP routing table is not empty. The output of 'route':
    Code:
    Kernel IP routing table
    default         192.168.1.1     0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0 eth1
    192.168.1.0     *               255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0 eth1
    Then I was able to set up the router with DHCP configuration by following the instructions here:
    http://kb.linksys.com/Linksys/ukp.as...articleid=3687
    After changing the value of the 3rd quadrant of the IP address field in step 3, use the above dhclient commands to refresh the IP in step 4 instead of “ipconfig/renew” or go to the "Status" section and click the "Release IP Address" and "Renew IP Address" buttons.

After completing the configuration and connecting the modem to the router, the output of 'route' is:
    Code:
    Kernel IP routing table
    default         192.168.2.1     0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0 eth1
    192.168.2.0     *               255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0 eth1
    As noted in the configuration instructions, 192.168.2.1 is now the new IP address of the router to prevent IP addressing conflicts between the modem and router operating as DHCP servers under the same network.

My remaining question is what are the advantages/disadvantages of having the modem in bridge mode with router using PPPoE vs. modem in routing mode (PPPoE) with router using DHCP? Right now the latter arrangement seems to be working fine but would I have better internet connections with the modem in bridge mode?
    Last edited by Vpc; June 22nd, 2013 at 09:27 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast