Thread: Display errors after 13.04 security update

Beans

Display errors after 13.04 security update

On the day Raring Ringtail came out, I upgraded my 12.10 desktop to 13.04 and have been very pleased with it. This morning I saw the notice that security updates were available popped up, so I allowed it to download and install these updates. The updates required rebooting. Upon reboot, the computer went into a low-res, 640x480 mode with my display defaulting to a 'laptop'. I have been unable to figure out why and how to return my settings back to their original 1920 x 1080 settings. I just want to get my computer back to the way it was before these security updates were installed. Can anyone help me?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Display errors after 13.04 security update

Just done the update and rebooted. All ok here. Intel onboard graphics.

What gfx card have you got.

Beans

Nvidia - I had been using the Nvidia proprietary drivers because of a some quirky intermittent issues... but for the most part it worked well with the standard ubuntu drivers.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Have you tried going into System Settings>Software & Updates>Additional Drivers tab and experimenting with another video driver. The video driver may have been deactivated. The need for a reboot might indicate that there was a kernel update as part of the updates. That sometimes brings conflicts with installed video drivers that require a re-activation of a driver.

You also at the Grub menu select Advance Options for Ubuntu. It is a sub-menu that lets you select the previous kernel and boot into that.

Regards.
    Last edited by grahammechanical; May 16th, 2013 at 03:04 PM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

grahammechanical, I restarted with the previous kernel and that brought me up in 1920x1080, but Unity is missing. Do you have any ideas on how to bring that back?

Beans

Having the same problems this morning with my macbook after the latest kernel update. It took forever to load up, and when it did load it was in a poor resolution, and the unity bar wouldn't render properly. Just a solid gray block. After restarting a couple times it appears to be working.

My desktop wasn't coming back up after the update either. Just hung on startup. It's working on the previous kernel though.

Beans

I have tried many things throughout the course of the day to try and fix my issue. Booting to a previous kernel solved the resolution problem, but Unity failed to come up at all and I was unable to get Unity to start. So I backed up my home data and am about to do a complete reinstall of 13.04. I have to admit that I am disappointed that this security update has caused this much trouble. It should not have. My computer was working wonderfully until this. This would be totally unacceptable in a Microsoft or Apple OS. Why is this seemingly okay to Ubuntu users? Canonical what gives?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by type5keith View Post
    I have tried many things throughout the course of the day to try and fix my issue. Booting to a previous kernel solved the resolution problem, but Unity failed to come up at all and I was unable to get Unity to start. So I backed up my home data and am about to do a complete reinstall of 13.04. I have to admit that I am disappointed that this security update has caused this much trouble. It should not have. My computer was working wonderfully until this. This would be totally unacceptable in a Microsoft or Apple OS. Why is this seemingly okay to Ubuntu users? Canonical what gives?

I am having the exact same problem on 13.04, since the update. Very frustrating.
    i tried different graphics drivers (including the nouveau driver) from the "software & update > additional drivers". I have tried loading earlier versions through the Grub. I have tried recovery modes...

I think I am left with the re-install option, which is frustrating to do on my (prior to Ubuntu's security update) perfectly functioning work desktop.

i want to try installing the nvidia drivers again, but without unity I can't run firefox. The only way I was able to access the settings menu is through right click, change desktop image, all settings...

My graphics card is nvidia quadro 600

Beans

Same problem. /etc/X11/xorg.conf is not there.

Beans

Hi have done a new install of 13.04, keeping my /home partition intact as it was in a different partition than /
    I have the exact same problem: no unity!
    Although now I can connect as a guest (which I am using right now).

Does that mean I need to backup and format everything, and re-do my partitions? I thought having a separate /home partition was the solution to do easy re-install without going through backups...
    Anyway I will now backup, and do a real clean install.

In any case, I thought that information would maybe guide someone trying to help, as after a fresh format and OS install on the / partition, the problem persists.

Cheers