Thread: Installing OpenOffice Calc or other alternative to LibreOffice Calc on Xubuntu

Beans

Installing OpenOffice Calc or other alternative to LibreOffice Calc on Xubuntu

Hey there,

I upgraded to Xubuntu 13.04 and as always installed LibreOffice but somehow they changed it greatly and especially LibreOffice Calc just sucks now. First of all it killed lots of formatting of existing files that were .ods files created with LibreOffice to begin with. Then also the handling is so annoying that I really want to get rid of it asap.
    My problem is that otherwise I'm still happy with LibreOffice and actually prefer it over OpenOffice. So I'd prefer to just replace LibreOffice Calc with a better solution and leave the rest. I've read that it's not possible to install both LibreOffice and OpenOffice. Is that true for every combination or just if I install the complete package? Is there maybe a way to work around or another alternative to OpenOffice or LibreOffice Calc?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Re: Installing OpenOffice Calc or other alternative to LibreOffice Calc on Xubuntu

Yeah, you cannot install LibreOffice and OpenOffice at the same time. Even if you just install OOo Calc, it would still require the base OOo, which conflicts.

An alternative is Gnumeric, which is a pretty popular standalone spreadsheet program. Give it a try.