Thread: Automount

Beans

Automount

Hi,

Wonder if anyone can help. I have managed to mount a new internal hdd on startup using MountManager, but cannot write to it. Does anyone know if there is an option in MountManager to do this - or is it a bit more complicated than this ?

Cheers !!!!
    Last edited by Bigmon; May 18th, 2013 at 02:28 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Automount

What kind of drives are these, what filesystems? If these are Linux filesystems, who is the owner of the files (userid, group id). If you are not the owner, you can't write. You can, however, try to write with sudo privileges. Are the drives maybe mounted as read-only instead of read/write?

Beans

Hi,
    This is a Sata Hard Drive, and the file system according to gparted is ext4 ? I am the administrator, so have sudo privileges. The drop down menu in Mountmanger shows that the drive is read / write. How do I write with "sudo privileges" ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

where is it mounted & is it data only (IE not an OS install)? say its mounted on /mnt/data

Code:
    sudo chown -R yourusername.yourusername /mnt/data

Beans

Sorry, I am not very experienced with this, and do not really understand the question. Is " /media/80gb_HDD" what you are referring too with regards to where it is mounted ? It is an additional internal hard drive and does not contain the operating system.
    Cheers.

Beans

I have just opened the new hard drive again and there is already a folder called "lost+found" there. Not created by myself. If I open this folder I can write to the disk within this folder, but cannot write to the disk outside of this folder.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

ok open a terminal and paste

Code:
    sudo chown -R YourUserName /media/80gb_HDD
    If you dont know YourUserName type

Code:
    whoami

Beans

Many thanks SlugSlug, that did the trick !