Thread: Thunar 13.04 Startup Question

Beans

Thunar 13.04 Startup Question

In previous versions of Ubuntu, from 12.10 on back, Thunar would start very slowly the very first time you opened it because of it trying to access gvfs or something like that... something about it trying to connect to the network. I was wondering if this behavior has changed in 13.04?

Beans

Re: Thunar 13.04 Startup Question

Yes, I think it's improved vastly. I'm using Thunar 1.6.2 and didn't have to tweak anything to get it to open pretty quickly..

Beans

That's good to know. As I'm exploring my upgrade options, is there any advantage to installing regular Ubuntu then XFCE (or LXDE) alongside it as opposed to just installing Xubuntu or Lubuntu directly?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Gannin View Post
    That's good to know. As I'm exploring my upgrade options, is there any advantage to installing regular Ubuntu then XFCE (or LXDE) alongside it as opposed to just installing Xubuntu or Lubuntu directly?
    If your hardware can handle it, I see no reason why you can't have multiple desktops. In other words, start off with an installation of Ubuntu or Lubuntu or Xubuntu and then do a sudo apt-get install of whichever additional desktop you desire (ubuntu-desktop/lubuntu-desktop/xubuntu-desktop). That way, you'll have the choice at login time.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

The benefit is you get to use either or if you choose. All the other DE will do is take up disk space. If you needed the dependencies from the gnome enviornment though, because you prefer one application in gnome vs xfce that would be another benefit.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    If your hardware can handle it, I see no reason why you can't have multiple desktops. In other words, start off with an installation of Ubuntu or Lubuntu or Xubuntu and then do a sudo apt-get install of whichever additional desktop you desire (ubuntu-desktop/lubuntu-desktop/xubuntu-desktop). That way, you'll have the choice at login time.
    +1

And best of all is the fact that it's reversible. At any time, if you so wish, you can always rollback to a pure Ubuntu, Xubuntu or Lubuntu desktop:
    Getting Back to a Pure Ubuntu
    Getting Back to a Pure Lubuntu
    Getting Back to a Pure Xubuntu