Thread: HP laptop computer screen won't work.

Beans

HP laptop computer screen won't work.

My sister's older hp laptop's screen won't turn on, I have it hooked up to a screen, but I need to know what I should do to figure out what the problem is. It has windows 7, but I can live boot pear or funduntu or something like that.

If you would give me a command I could type in thated be great.

Thanks
    Last edited by tahdas; May 16th, 2013 at 03:09 AM.

Beans

Re: HP laptop computer screen won't work.

Does the screen come on at all under BIOS, Win7 or Linux LiveCD?

If 'no' then you have a hardware issue. It could be something as simple as a lose connector or it could be dead power circuitry or dead backlight wtc.

With the laptop on and windows booted up shine a torch or light onto the lcd and look closely to see if you can see any image in the 'background'

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    Does the screen come on at all under BIOS, Win7 or Linux LiveCD?

If 'no' then you have a hardware issue. It could be something as simple as a lose connector or it could be dead power circuitry or dead backlight wtc.

With the laptop on and windows booted up shine a torch or light onto the lcd and look closely to see if you can see any image in the 'background'
    I shined a flash light on the screen and I couldn't see any thing. I'm pretty sure it's a hardware issue, probably a lose connector. The screen has gone off before but it always came back on in a half on hour or so, it started happening when my sister dropped it on the floor. This time it's been out for 15 hours, it started last night when some triped over the cord (it dozen that've a battery).

So what should I do now?

Thanks,
    tahdas

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tahdas View Post
    I shined a flash light on the screen and I couldn't see any thing. I'm pretty sure it's a hardware issue, probably a lose connector. The screen has gone off before but it always came back on in a half on hour or so, it started happening when my sister dropped it on the floor. This time it's been out for 15 hours, it started last night when some triped over the cord (it dozen that've a battery).

So what should I do now?
    It's quite possible that the power socket came lose from the motherboard, pretty common thing. Will require a resolder or more if that is the case. Try wiggling the power connector in the socket and see if it comes on at any point while pressing the button.

The best thing to do would be to strip the laptop, reseat all connectors, ribbon cables and check the power connector for play.

What's the exact HP model she has?

Beans

I'm trying to find the book that came with it, on the back of the laptop it says hp pavilion entertainment.

I tried jiggling the power cable but that didnt work. I was hoping there was a way i could open a terminal and enter a code that would tell me what the issue is. I can live boot puppy, pear, or peppermint.

Im hoping to avoid opening up the computer until i know for sure what i need to do. Or do you think I should just open it up and see what I can do?

Thanks,
    tahdas
    Last edited by tahdas; May 17th, 2013 at 03:01 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tahdas View Post
    I'm trying to find the book that came with it, on the back of the laptop it says hp pavilion entertainment.

I was hoping there was a way i could open a terminal and enter a code that would tell me what the issue is. I can live boot puppy, pear, or peppermint.
    There must be a model number on the bottom.

So the laptop comes on, you can boot a live disk on it and see the output on a external monitor? If 'yes' the the power connector is good.
    Can you see the output of BIOS & Windows 7 on the external monitor?

Beans

Yes, I have the laptop hooked up to an external monitor. The laptop boots, slower than normal, but nothing appears on the laptops screen, it appear on the external one just fine.

Thanks,
    tahdas

Beans

On the bottom of the laptop it say HP pavilion dv4 and on another part it says Pavilion dv4-12225dx.