Thread: Ubuntu Gnome 13.04 help please

Beans

Question Ubuntu Gnome 13.04 help please

hi everyone i have ubuntugnome 13.04 installed and followed the directions below to upgrade to gnome 3.8 i seems to work but the ubuntu software center crashes each time i try to open it .

Directions i followed
    For those excited about the latest version of GNOME, we do maintain the GNOME3 PPA to catch an early look at GNOME 3.8. Please ensure you do a dist-upgrade if you choose to add this PPA and not just a standard upgrade or GDM and GNOME shell will not run after start-up. As always, if you choose to make use of any PPA, please familiarize yourself with ppa-purge.

=== Ubuntu 13.04 (Raring) ===

GNOME 3.8 that won't make it into the normal Ubuntu 13.04 repositories. Other parts of GNOME 3.8 are available in the https://launchpad.net/~gnome3-team/+archive/gnome3-staging PPA but beware that many of those components have known regressions from their GNOME 3.6 versions.

You need to run 'sudo apt-get dist-upgrade' to avoid problems. Please read the output before entering 'Y' to make sure important packages won't be removed.

any idea why its doing that ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Re: Ubuntu Gnome 13.04 help please

PPA's are bleeding edge in many cases and always use at your own risk. I located a bug report that you may want to confirm and if the synaptic package manager is available in 3.8 you can use it to install software until you get the problem sorted out. I have tried 3.8 twice and am back on 3.6.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install synaptic
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/software-center/+bug/1178357
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Or you can go Ubuntu-GNOME distro... it runs 3.8

http://ubuntugnome.org/]
    Ubuntu 15.04/OS type: 64-bit/Processor: Intel Core i5-2320 CPU @ 3.00GHz × 4/Memory: 5.8 GiB/Graphics: Gallium 0.4 on AMD CAICOS/Disk: 320 GB

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by FishboyFive View Post
    hi everyone i have ubuntugnome 13.04 installed and followed the directions below to upgrade to gnome 3.8 i seems to work but the ubuntu software center crashes each time i try to open it .
    Has for me also since I added the GNOME 3 PPA. I note it crashes on both Ubuntu GNOME 13.04, and on Ubuntu 13.04 + GNOME Shell. I just use Synaptic or aptitude.

There are a few little problems around after you add the GNOME 3 PPA, this is just one of them. I think GNOME Shell 3.8 is quite a bit better than 3.6 so I live with the problems.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by mayagrafix View Post
    Or you can go Ubuntu-GNOME distro... it runs 3.8

http://ubuntugnome.org/]
    No it doesn't. It comes with 3.6 and you have to manually install 3.8 which is causing the problem.
    $> cd /pub
    $> more beer

Beans

That is correct . The ubuntugnome.org site says we can update to gnome 3.8 it just did not say anything about software center being borked. I guess I will just wait until next version . After I tried fedora 19 alpha I can't run anything older then gnome 3.8 . Gnome 3.9 in fedora 19 is AMAZING. I love it