Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First 'return' entered in terminal logs me out. AND other issues

Beans

Angry First 'return' entered in terminal logs me out. AND other issues

Hello all.

As my title suggests, when I first hit 'return' (enter key) inside of a terminal after the OS has booted, it will log me out of the session. I then can log back in and the next command entered works okay.
    I was suspecting my vnc servers that I run, but I even disabled it and this still occurs. I do have auto login enabled.
    This happens almost every time it boots up but, once in a blue moon it will work correctly.

I can open applications like chrome or settings. It seems like it is only the first terminal command, regardless what it is,
    will log me off. I can even type gibberish 'asdfasdf' and it will still happen.

Interesting NOTE: while it is in the state that it boots and auto logs IN, BUT before I run a command.
    I can NOT do the combo of 'Ctrl + Alt + F1' that normally would bring you to the frist console.
    Not only the frist console, but any of them. Instead it does not respond to any of that and stays at the desktop. default console 7
    After I do the issue of first 'return' in the terminal, it auto logs me out, I log in. I can then switch consoles.

A couple other things that will happen ( might or might not be related to this issue ):

Sometimes it boots to a black screen with mouse cursor and blinking cursor in top left.
    I can move the mouse, and if i hit a key I see some non-human readable text in the top left.
    When I hit 'enter' it will bring me to the log-in screen. the below issue ( slow log in screen) had occured during this situation.
    When i get logged back in, the terminal 'return' issue does not occur.

Sometimes when I am logged off automatically, the log in screen is extremely slow to respond.
    The cursor does not even blink. I type the password and hit enter, after a couple mins it will log me into the screen.

Has anyone experienced this or something similar? Any help would greatly be appreciated.

I have Ubuntu 12.04 with kernel 3.6.0-030600-generic
    Last edited by dustinr; June 24th, 2013 at 10:22 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: First 'return' entered in terminal logs me out. AND other issues

Hi

As my title suggests, when I first hit 'return' (enter key) inside of a terminal after the OS has booted, it will log me out of the session. I then can log back in and the next command entered works okay.
    I was suspecting my vnc servers that I run, but I even disabled it and this still occurs. I do have auto login enabled.
    That sounds really odd ! Never come across that before.

Just so we can be sure what is happening on your system, i have a couple of questions.

When you say terminal, you are talking about a terminal emulator like gnome-terminal or xterm and not a console (ctrl + alt + F1-7) ?

If this is so, have you tried logging into a console ? If so, do you get the same/similar problem logging into a console ? I.e does it log you out and back to getty ?

If it's a terminal emulator, what emulator is it ? Have you tried a different one ?

When did this start happening ? Can you pin-point anything you did or the system did, such as an update, just before it happened ?

Kind regards
    If you believe everything you read, you better not read. ~ Japanese Proverb

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed. - Mark Twain

Beans

Yes terminal meaning the gui window that can be ran after the graphical log in. not the ctrl+alt+F*

If this is so, have you tried logging into a console ? If so, do you get the same/similar problem logging into a console ? I.e does it log you out and back to getty ?
    Interesting NOTE: while it is in the state that it boots and auto logs IN, BUT before I run a command.
    I can NOT do the combo of 'Ctrl + Alt + F1' that normally would bring you to the frist console.
    Not only the frist console, but any of them. Instead it does not respond to any of that and stays at the desktop. default console 7
    After I do the issue of first 'return' in the terminal, it auto logs me out, I log in. I can then switch consoles.
    It is the Gnome Terminal V3.6.1

Sadly I can not pin point when this happened. and many changes had been made before I even noticed. I built the machine remotely.

Beans
    Distro

Hi

That is very interesting about the consoles.

Reboot so you get to the same problem and instead of opening gnome terminal type

Code:
    xterm
    instead. Do you still get the same problem - i half expect you to say yes

Kind regards

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed. - Mark Twain

Beans

lol only one problem, typing xterm will require me to execute that command via gnome... Il thrown it in a start up script.

Okay I just tried it and it yields the same result....

With that in mind, I tried hitting just enter with out bringing a terminal.... same thing, logs me out

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Something strange in your .bashrc ?
    Life's a pitch. And then you sing!

Beans

Possibly, I am exploring this thought right now.

Beans
    Distro

Hi

Post them here is you want others to look at them.

Kind regards

Beans

Sorry for the long delay.

I did a diff from a fresh install of Ubuntu 12.04's /home/user/.bashrc and the .bashrc in question and the only difference is what I added manually.

export HISTTIMEFORMAT="%F %T: "
    export PATH="$PATH:/core/bin:/usr/local/zend/bin"
    export EDITOR=vi
    export DISPLAY=:0
    set -o vi

I am going to comment these out and see if it helps.

Thanks

I am editing my previous post.

I just tried what I said above and it had no effect. I will google more, but any advice would be appreciated.
    Last edited by dustinr; May 31st, 2013 at 07:57 PM.

Beans

Here is an interesting note...

When I said earlier that I could not 'Ctrl Alt F1' , I now realize that I can not get into ANY of the F* sessions. Pressing F1 - F12 does not change the screen, or even make it 'blink'.

I wonder if X is starting faster than gnome can initialize. More google...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast