Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Windows vs Linux

Beans

Re: Windows vs Linux

Quote Originally Posted by prusswan View Post
    If you really must suffer the experience, go with Windows 7 at least.
    Seconded!

Windows 7 is not terribly bad - the best of the Windows OSes IMO.
    It runs fairly stable, and is not so resource-heavy (compared to Vista - compared to Ubuntu it is of course resource heavy).
    What you always have with Windows is that it is BIG - at least 15 GB for the finished (64bit) install...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Check out this poll I did seven years ago. I doubt the percentages have shifted much. Seems the largest minority goes with building their own computers.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...l+preinstalled

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu View Post
    <snip>
    Many Linux users will even buy Windows preinstalled just to have Windows as a dual-boot.

If I were to start a business selling computers and wanted to make money... I would not have the flagship product be a Ubuntu (or other desktop Linux distro) preinstalled computer.
    I suspect that at least with notebooks (it's not practical to buy parts and assemble your own) this is the case. There are some functions - BIOS upgrades, hardware/firmware upgrades etc. that linux simply can't perform, hardware vendors don't support it. So it's prudent to have a windows install "in the back of the closet" to cover such functions. I can get a copy of Ubuntu to install as dual boot for free. I cannot get a copy of Windows to install as dual boot for free, at least not legally. This seems like it'd skew usage stats though. Headline:

NOBODY IS BUYING COMPUTERS WITH LINUX INSTALLED. LINUX SUCKS!!

Well,no. Some people are buying computers with Windows installed, taking them home and making them dual boot with a no cost linux download - if they can navigate the UEFI/Secure Boot maze. But Microsoft buys lots of ads and gives us lots of $$$, linux vendors don't so:

LINUX SUCKS!

Beans
    Hidden!

I won't buy computers for a while. Out of the house I use my iPad, back home my AMD kit desktop will be good for a while.
    When I do need to upgrade, it will be another kit so I don't have to pay Windows tax.
    I have a few netbooks lying around unused since the day I got the iPad.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12