Thread: Offline Blogging Clients?

Beans

Offline Blogging Clients?

I've been looking for an alternative to Windows Live Writer, the only MS program I actually like. lol I was wondering what everyone's favorites were? I've tried Blogilo, but the spell check doesn't work and it doesn't have many options for working with images. It won't even let you center an image with out html coding it. The only options are left or right justify. Otherwise it's not a bad program.
    I like blogging offline since our internet can hiccup a lot.

Ideas?

Beans

Re: Offline Blogging Clients?

These days I just use a text editor to type up my blog posts, but I used to use Blogio as well and it is a decent program. There is an old Gnome 2 application called gnome-blog that is rather "meh" and it sits in the tray, so it probably will not play nicely with Unity or recent versions of Gnome which depreciate such behavior. Another option is Drivel which I have used a in the past several years back and I really enjoyed its setup and design as well, and it is built on Gnome technologies. The note application Tomboy also has a plug-in that allows you to post to certain blog services are well, though I do not know how thorough of a solution it is.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Faolan84 View Post
    These days I just use a text editor to type up my blog posts, but I used to use Blogio as well and it is a decent program. There is an old Gnome 2 application called gnome-blog that is rather "meh" and it sits in the tray, so it probably will not play nicely with Unity or recent versions of Gnome which depreciate such behavior. Another option is Drivel which I have used a in the past several years back and I really enjoyed its setup and design as well, and it is built on Gnome technologies. The note application Tomboy also has a plug-in that allows you to post to certain blog services are well, though I do not know how thorough of a solution it is.
    I should correct in my first post I said you can't center images in Blogilo with out using html code. I found that isn't quite true. The option to center an image doesn't show in the image property box but if you click the image in the text editor you can use the text justification to center it. It's an extra step, but does work.

One other thing I found with Blogilo every time I hit enter it would insert a div instead of a br. While playing around with it I found if I first change the text format to preformatted then back to paragraph before I start typing it correctly uses br. Odd but works.

I'm trying out Drivel and it does look pretty good. But it looks like it can't handle image uploads for a WordPress blog?

What text editor do you use for blogging? I've been testing out NeverNote/EverNote and it seems pretty good so far. What I keep hoping to find is something similar to WLW or BlogDesk but for Linux.

Beans

I generally just type things up in FocusWriter, Gedit, or even Google Docs. Usually if I am working in a straight text editor I will then work the formatting in the web front-end. If I recall correctly, if you paste in already formatted text and what not into Blogger (I don't know about WordPress) it will retain the formatting. Of course, YMMV and it may not work every time.

I've never used Evernote, I might have to give that a look myself. I've heard the name tossed around and good things said about it, but I just even really looked into it. If that works for blogging let me know. Another tool I use time to time for organizing large posts or reviews in Basket, which is a total note-keeping and resource app for KDE. Not sure if there is a Gnome equivalent.

One other thing I found with Blogilo every time I hit enter it would insert a div instead of a br. While playing around with it I found if I first change the text format to preformatted then back to paragraph before I start typing it correctly uses br. Odd but works.
    That is terrible. Who thought that was a good idea? Maybe creating a new <p> but certainly creating a <div> is excessive and seems like poor design. Or it has to do with how WordPress works. I don't know, either way, that is just terrible.