Thread: System not running startx on boot, gdm running fine

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

System not running startx on boot, gdm running fine

When I boot my system it is not running startx. I can manually run startx and it will boot, but I need it to start automatically. I am sure this is something simple but I cannot seem to find this online. Right now the system is set to use gdm but lightdm is installed as well and changing to lightdm does not make the system startx automatically either.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Re: System not running startx on boot, gdm running fine

See if this can help you: Start_X_at_Boot

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by slickymaster View Post
    See if this can help you: Start_X_at_Boot
    I have tried this. This is mainly reffering to having startx run after a login from the command line if I am correct. I believe the idea here in this article is when you are not using a Display Manager, which I am.

Beans

I don't think the 'system' actually 'runs startx on boot' if you're using a display manager (lightdm / gdm)

What should happen is that the system runs (as root) the display manager, and when you login at the GUI, the DM authenticates you and then starts your chosen X session, using the scripts located at /etc/X11/Xsession and any relevant session startup files in your home dir

The 'startx' command is a way for a user to bypass all that and start a session in the absence of a display manager (e.g. with a simple window manager)

So if you have gdm / lightdm installed and want a graphical DM-based login then you need to look at why the DM is not starting - which shouldn't be anything to do with startx afaik

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by steeldriver View Post
    I don't think the 'system' actually 'runs startx on boot' if you're using a display manager (lightdm / gdm)

What should happen is that the system runs (as root) the display manager, and when you login at the GUI, the DM authenticates you and then starts your chosen X session, using the scripts located at /etc/X11/Xsession and any relevant session startup files in your home dir

The 'startx' command is a way for a user to bypass all that and start a session in the absence of a display manager (e.g. with a simple window manager)

So if you have gdm / lightdm installed and want a graphical DM-based login then you need to look at why the DM is not starting - which shouldn't be anything to do with startx afaik
    Ok, this makes sense, but I am never presented with a GUI login. If I check services gdm is running
    Code:
    # service gdm status
    gdm start/running, process 2198
    I have the account set to log in automatically, any thoughts?

Beans
    Distro

**Update**

If I disable automatic login I get the login screen but if I set it to auto login it will not work.

Beans

if you think its a corrupted configuration somewhere you have the package manager reinitialize it

sudo dpkg-reconfigure gdm

or... maybe the upstart got messed up you can re-generate the upstart from the /etc/init.d/gdm using

update-rc.d gdm defaults

im not sure if defaults is what you want, i think it starts at runlevels 1+ < 6 and stops on 0/6
    or something like that, ive only done this one time and i might not be remembering all the details
    of course if its really messed up you can try purging it and reinstalling it making sure you got rid
    of /etc/init.d/gdm and /etc/init/gdm.conf (and the /etc/rc?.d/*gdm* links too else you might be
    stop/starting it at the wrong time regardless of the other stuff though this generally wouldnt happen
    afaik.. if it ends up using too much of your time and no end is in sight for some
    reason you may just install a different display manager like lightdm, xdm, or whatever kids are using
    these days.

hope this helps

-o-

Beans
    Distro

I tried teh first 2 suggestions, have not tried a purge yet, however the problem occurs with both lightdm and gdm just the same. As long as I dont have the system set to auto-login I am fine.