Thread: GIMP 2.8 issues...

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

GIMP 2.8 issues...

I have a couple of problems with using GIMP 2.8. When I scale an image to a smaller size, the quality is reduced to s**t! and I don't have the horizontal scrolling bar.
    Last edited by Jason Kuzhively; May 16th, 2013 at 02:29 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: GIMP 2.8 issues...

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Kuzhively View Post
    I have a couple of problems with using GIMP 2.8. When I scale an image to a smaller size, the quality is reduced to s**t! and I don't have the horizontal scrolling bar.

you are saying that to smaller size , as it says if you set the picture to proper resolution then it will have the quality . If you change it you will lose the quality of the image .

for horizontal scrolling bar you may check in preferences.
    Dont miss anything even it is small. one small pin is enough to bring down a man.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I'm having some trouble understanding your problem. When you scale an image to a smaller size, you decrease the number of pixels in the image. Therefore the quality is bound to be reduced. You can view the image full size by changing the % at the bottom of the screen, under the picture. If you make the picture smaller than the window, you will not be able to scroll horizontally or vertically.

Hope this helps.
    $> cd /pub
    $> more beer

Beans
    Distro

So wait, the quality of the image is reduced when you reduce it's size? I though that only happens if you increase it and BTW, I'm running GIMP in Single-Window mode.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Kuzhively View Post
    So wait, the quality of the image is reduced when you reduce it's size? I though that only happens if you increase it and BTW, I'm running GIMP in Single-Window mode.
    No, of course it doesn't!

If you reduce an image that was 2000x1000pixels to a scaled size of 200x100 pixels, you now have an image with 20,000 pixels instead of the original with 2,000,000 pixels. There is no way to avoid this as far as I'm aware.

Perhaps you misunderstood the term "scale"?

Single window mode has no bearing on your situation, so don't worry about that!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    No, of course it doesn't!

If you reduce an image that was 2000x1000pixels to a scaled size of 200x100 pixels, you now have an image with 20,000 pixels instead of the original with 2,000,000 pixels. There is no way to avoid this as far as I'm aware.

Perhaps you misunderstood the term "scale"?

Single window mode has no bearing on your situation, so don't worry about that!
    Thank you, one more thing, my horizontal scrollbar is nowhere to be seen.

Update: When I use it in multi-window, I can see the horizontal bar, and the vertical scroll bar is pushed out a bit.
    Last edited by Jason Kuzhively; May 15th, 2013 at 05:29 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Fixed it, I just went to ~/.gimp-2.8 folder and deleted the sessionrc file.