Thread: Beginner introduction to PyGTK and Quickly

Beans

Lightbulb Beginner introduction to PyGTK and Quickly

Hi

First of all thanks very much to Jono Bacon for the amazing video introducing the Quickly dev envroment. I for the video extremely interesting and would hope he is considering making more dev videos.

My question is this:

The application that Quickly outputs is ovally quite complex as dose not lend its self to people that are new to Python and pyGTK like myself.
    I have been learning Python on and off for about two years but since discovering CodeAcadamy my understanding of Python is going from strength to strength. But before I started with Python I was already familiar with programming concepts ie variables, arrays, fanctions and some OOP.

How would someone go about creating a basic pyGTK app with out using Quickly?
    Then perhaps this can be including in the templates with Quickly not as a production template but as a learning aid for the tools i.e. Quickly, Python, pyGTK. I would also teach how the dev cycle works on ubuntu.

So can someone make a basic application with PDF documentation intended to explain pyGTK for someone who is completely new to pyGTK and/or Python. If using Quickly to create this could the document be copied in to a doc folder when the project is created. If I had more experience I would gladly do this myself but I want to contribute to the community if only ideas for now.

Thanks

/digitalrealm
    Last edited by digitalrealm; May 15th, 2013 at 09:41 AM. Reason: Add name

Beans

Re: Beginner introduction to PyGTK and Quickly

If no one is in favor of a basic python template. What about an in depth description of the ubuntu-application template to help people like myself with Python experience but never having used it for such a complex project.

/digitalrealm

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Re: Beginner introduction to PyGTK and Quickly

I cannot really see how you are supposed to use quickly if you're a beginner, or even if you're just mildly obsessive about how your code looks. It's a nightmare.
    What I ended up doing was just learning how to use pygtk and later pygobject (the new way of accessing GTK+ from python) properly, which work absolutely fine on their own. There's an excellent guide here: http://python-gtk-3-tutorial.readthedocs.org/en/latest/