Thread: Portal 2 beta NOT WORKING!

Beans

Unhappy Portal 2 beta NOT WORKING!

Hello fellow Linuxers, I have a problem relating to the beta of Portal for Ubuntu 13.04.
    It showed up in my library so I went to install it, 10 minutes later it said it had timed out, I tryed over and over and still the same message
    Plz help -CaptainJamesj
    Last edited by Perfect Storm; May 15th, 2013 at 09:38 AM. Reason: set font to default - please use standard font and size

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Portal 2 beta NOT WORKING!

There is no portal 2 beta yet only portal 1, guess its a typo I dont have any issues downloading it are you sure you dont have any network problems. Also try consulting the portal forum on steam there might be other with the same issue there.
    Feel free to add a fellow linux gamer on steam && desura : Maokei

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

He's right; I would be getting Portal 2 on release if it were available, since I bought it for Windows on my dual-boot desktop.

Speaking of which: I have occasionally had to reinstall Linux from time to time, and always when I had done SOMETHING to hose the system. I this week had to reinstall Windows, and had done NOTHING to hose it; it hosed itself. Fortunately, after the very lengthy installation, and the lengthier update/reboot/update again process, I booted my rescueatux disk and ascertained that my 13.04 was bootable and safe. I'm only installing Steam games on the Windows side that do not have Linux versions, and that's a smaller and smaller number of games these days. If there is any difference between Half-Life 2 under Windows and Half-Life 2 under Linux, it's that it runs a bit faster under Linux. Appearance is identical.

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819

Beans

Indeed on Portal 1 is out for Linux, Portal 2 is not.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by oldrocker99 View Post
    [...]Speaking of which: I have occasionally had to reinstall Linux from time to time, and always when I had done SOMETHING to hose the system. [...]
    I did the same thing in the past. But if you get support from the forum there's NO need to reinstall all the time. You can also learn new things by fixing the problem. Sometimes it might be faster to reinstall, but that's not the intention of running an OS and it's not that elegant.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Cool Re: Portal 2 beta NOT WORKING!

Oh, I know that; sometimes, just for fun, I just take the opportunity to install a new distro, since I have a separate /home drive. That makes it pretty easy for me. Besides, I have certainly fixed more than one self-inflicted problem. Currently, it trying to figure out the disappearing desktop icon bug in Cinnamon and MATE. I managed to show the desktop icons, but they're teeny-tiny, with no text below, and, besides, (and I never thought I'd say this) I LIKE KDE 4.10, which shows the desktop icons normally, as do LXDE and Razor-qt. Perusing the Mint forums has (so far) yielded no results. So far.
    Last edited by oldrocker99; May 16th, 2013 at 04:00 PM.

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819