Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: To Ubuntu 13.04...or, not to Ubuntu 13.04 - Complete Disappointment

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: To Ubuntu 13.04...or, not to Ubuntu 13.04 - Complete Disappointment

Quote Originally Posted by pqwoerituytrueiwoq View Post
    I am running xubuntu 13.04 64bit on several machines no issue, i even started switching to it before April was here on production machines (i was running beta full time)
    only had 1 bug show up, and it was fixed during iso testing, and it had a easy workaround
    about a week before raring was released there was a bugged kernel, bad for nvidia gpus and lots of hdmi audio chips, upgrading to the mainline kernel solved this
    The kernel bugs are that I encountered are still in Xubuntu, but I like Xuubuntu more than Unity.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

To add to the weird and untested...

My download speed is incredibly slow. Using speedtest.net my download speed is in the range of 20-30 Mb/s regardless of the server. Upload speed is pretty good thou. I am using Wireless connection. My router is Netgear R6300.

My ISP is FiOS and I am at 75/35 plan.

In comparison rebooting in Windows 7 speedtest.net is at 80 Mb/s down and 38 Mb/s up.

Another strange thing I discovered is that when I look at the connection information of my wireless connection it constantly fluctiates b/w 6 Mb/s and 144 Mb/s. It never goes above 144 Mb/s. In comaprison, my Windows 7 stays at 300 Mb/s constantly pretty much. Drops to 270 rarely.

I just upgraded to the latest kernel from the repository and took quite a while just to download.

My adapter is Intel(R) Centrino(R) Advanced-N 6230. Attaching both tests - Ubuntu 13.04 (26 Mb/s down and 39 Mb/s up) and Windows 7 (84 Mb/s down and 39 Mb/s up). Both tests in wireless connection. And again, this is pretty much plain Ubuntu installation. I also tested it with a LiveCD, with the same horrible download speeds. OPened a thread in the Networking forum, but so far no replies...

SpeedTest-Win7.PNGSpeedTest.png

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kargool View Post
    For me, 13.04 seems like a bug-fixed version of 12.10 with a few extra features and changes.
    I agree. It seems to run smoother as well. The 3D desktop effects are also nicely done and seem to be quite well optimised as I believe they work faster than the 12.10. The stability issues in 12.10 were too much for me so I went back to 12.04 after less than a month. 13.04 seems to be running well, however. The one issue I had with it, however, was that I was unable to start the 3D desktop right after the installation. It's annoying having to look for solutions to issues while unable to even open the desktop, let alone a web browser. The display driver defaults to Noveau and the 3D Unity just doesn't seem to work on my nVidia with Noveau. However, after switching to a proprietary nVidia driver through terminal everything seems to be fine. The main beef I have with Ubuntu about this is it's been an issue since they started Unity. You could resolve it by going in through Unity2D but the issue was not resolved even though Unity2D has been cancelled.

I think that since you have the option to download updates and proprietary software such as mp3 support and Flash during installation they could add another option to download and install a proprietary display driver.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Unity was a path of no return, and the primary reason for the mass divide/exodus after 12.04. Many people on the current LTS will have no viable upgrade path and have no choice but to turn to other distros so that their meets can continue to be met adequately. Of course, some have decided to move on right away.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

While initially, when unity was introduced, there was much hue and cry....but many eventually decided to spend some time and give it a chance and completely turned around and really enjoy using it now...so i wouldn't say there was a mass exodus....just an initially "over-reacting negative response"...and others did decide to try other versions of ubuntu or other distros like linux mint, etc...

Also, Unity has greatly improved in each new ubuntu version and some who were lukewarm to it originally now very happy using it...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by prusswan View Post
    Unity was a path of no return, and the primary reason for the mass divide/exodus after 12.04. Many people on the current LTS will have no viable upgrade path and have no choice but to turn to other distros so that their meets can continue to be met adequately. Of course, some have decided to move on right away.
    Is your brain fried?

Anyone on the current LTS default Ubuntu is already enjoying unity.

I take it you mean after lucid.

And unity can do all the things anyone needs to do, it just takes a different way of looking at how to do them.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by deadflowr View Post
    Is your brain fried?

Anyone on the current LTS default Ubuntu is already enjoying unity.

I take it you mean after lucid.

And unity can do all the things anyone needs to do, it just takes a different way of looking at how to do them.
    gnome-session-fallback, but what would eunuchs know?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

gnome fallback ain't the default.
    Earn Your Keep

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by deadflowr View Post
    gnome fallback ain't the default.
    I didn't say it is, but it does explain why the exodus has already begun at 12.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by prusswan View Post
    I didn't say it is, but it does explain why the exodus has already begun at 12.04
    Those who switched distros, switched two distros before precise came out.

Some for the bizarre disdain for a quirky desktop.
    And far more because the hardware they had couldn't handle unity.
    I was one of the latter, for a time.

Personally, if I was to need a classic desktop design, I'd go with xfce over classic gnome.
    Earn Your Keep

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast