Thread: Apper Updates (of Flash) Routinely Break Flash (but report installed OK . . )

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Apper Updates (of Flash) Routinely Break Flash (but report installed OK . . )

Some time after installing Kubuntu 12.04, I noticed that Flash is not being updated when Apper advises of bug fixes, etc. I think one time of about 15 or so, the update process will succeed, but normally I have to go into Synaptic and mark Flash for "re-installation" - - then it works again on the sites that require flash.

Here's a couple snapshots to illustrate - the first pic just shows a hanging update after doing a rescan for updates - - in other words, package kit didn't succeed . . . , the second is the detail view after starting the re-install via Synaptic. It seems the normal update process just doesn't succeed in downloading the new flash update from whatever source (I assume the updates are at Adobe's site . . or perhaps another directory on the Ubuntu servers reserved for proprietary apps?? Just speculating on this though.)

Last edited by GregA; April 10th, 2013 at 08:09 PM.

Beans

Re: Apper Updates (of Flash) Routinely Break Flash (but report installed OK . . )

FWIW, I've generally found the Flash plugin from the partner repository to be less troublesome. Enable the "Canonical Partners" repository in Software Sources. Then purge existing flashplugin-* packages. Next, install adobe-flashplugin and adobe-flash-properties-kde. That second package will create a module in System Settings that allows you to configure various Flash Player properties. It lands in the Lost and Found group, because the packaging is screwed up, but it works.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Apper Updates (of Flash) Routinely Break Flash (but report installed OK . . )

Hi Steve,

Just saw your suggestion earlier today, and I enabled the partners source. So tonight's flash update went a whole bunch smoother. Thanks!