Thread: compiling gimp on lubuntu 12.04 PowerPC! G3

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

compiling gimp on lubuntu 12.04 PowerPC! G3

Before I undertake this project, I want to see if you all can answer some basic compiling questions for me!

Want to install gimp 2.8. I will settle for 2.0 if i have to. I've been reading documentation and i want to make sure the procedure will be the same or similar for PPC machines. I am on a g3 imac slot load with 12.04. I have not yet run sudo apt-get update... i have no internet connection at home yet. So i'm sure i'll want to do this first.
    -if i 'apt-get install gimp' will this install all the required packages and will this work for ppc?
    -if i download the source code from gimp.org can i compile the source out of the box without downloading additional development tools? ("make" command)
    -anyone who has gimp on a ppc with 12.04 what info could you give me?

Everyone have a great day. Great community here.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: compiling gimp on lubuntu 12.04 PowerPC! G3

Quote Originally Posted by imacg3ppc View Post
    -if i 'apt-get install gimp' will this install all the required packages and will this work for ppc?
    There are GIMP packages for PPC on ports.ubuntu.com, so I suppose yes, it should work. The GIMP in Ubuntu 12.04 is version 2.6.12.

Beans

I recently tried compiling GIMP 2.6.12 on my 13.04 machine with source from gimp.org and encountered persistent versioning problems with the GEGL dependency. After half-an-hour or so of trying different solutions, I just gave up. I recommend sticking to pre-compiled versions if you can find them.

I think 12.04 has the correct versioning to compile 2.6, since that was the standard package for that release. Make sure to run "sudo apt-get build-dep gimp" before you begin to install all the source dependencies. You'll also need to install the build-essential package if you have not yet done so.
    Last edited by SeijiSensei; May 15th, 2013 at 04:45 PM.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

i thank you folks for your helpful information! i think i'm going to try both the port and give a shot at compiling as well.

Beans

I was contemplating trying to build gimp from source (to enable debugging for some plugins I'm developing) - I got as far as searching out some how-tos but I can't vouch for them as I stopped short of actually doing it - you may find this helpful though, it seems to have some good information on prerequisites

http://www.gregorystrike.com/2012/05...-ubuntu-12-04/

Good luck