Thread: ZSNES on Ubuntu 13.04 32-bit, Ubuntu Studio 13.04 64-bit (raring ringtail)

Beans

Angry ZSNES on Ubuntu 13.04 32-bit, Ubuntu Studio 13.04 64-bit (raring ringtail)

Hello Everyone!

I'm not sure if raring ringtail is still in pre-release state now but ZSNES has a problem on raring. It seems at least 3 people have also reported this and I wanted to see if anyone else had this issue (13.04 only as far as I know)...

ZSNES runs fine when you start it up but when you go to load a game, it instantly crashes. You can see the bug details here.

What I need to know is if this is just a few people or if it is everyone... so if you have 13.04 and can load and play a rom then reply back (or if you cant). As I said, the emulator starts just fine, no problems at all untill I hit enter when selecting a rom OR when selecting a recent rom from the left arrow menu.

Thanks all for your replies!!

"I hate the internet... mooo!!!"

PS: I almost forgot to mention, a workaround to those who have this problem: install wine and run the windows version of zsnes. It is suprisingly fast - didnt expect that it would work.
    Last edited by osirisgothra; May 14th, 2013 at 11:12 AM. Reason: Workaround

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: ZSNES on Ubuntu 13.04 32-bit, Ubuntu Studio 13.04 64-bit (raring ringtail)

Quote Originally Posted by osirisgothra View Post
    PS: I almost forgot to mention, a workaround to those who have this problem: install wine and run the windows version of zsnes. It is suprisingly fast - didnt expect that it would work.
    There's also the option of bsnes, formerlySnes9x (although, not as fast as zsnes on old systems).
    Last edited by kostkon; May 14th, 2013 at 12:12 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by kostkon View Post
    There's also the option of bsnes, formerlySnes9x (although, not as fast as zsnes on old systems).
    Actually, bsnes is a completely different emulator that attempts to achieve hardware-precision fidelity in emulation. That is why it requires a more powerful machine than other emulators. This article explains it:
    http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2011/0...snes-emulator/
    Francisco Camenforte Torres
    http://fmct.blogspot.com

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by fct View Post
    Actually, bsnes is a completely different emulator that attempts to achieve hardware-precision fidelity in emulation. That is why it requires a more powerful machine than other emulators. This article explains it:
    http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2011/0...snes-emulator/
    Nice article, thanks.