Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Install latest OpenOffice.org?

Beans

Install latest OpenOffice.org?

Hi everyone,

I would like to install the latest OpenOffice.org on Ubuntu. I installed it using the apt PPA and it installed perfectly, but it is now saying there is a newer version available. How do I install this? I did experiment with downloading it, extracting the tar.gz file and installing the debs, but when I did this, Ubuntu didn't seem to be aware that it was even installed! I couldn't associate with file types, nor could I find it in the dash. The only way I could run it was to go to the program folder and run soffice.bin.
    Last edited by Samuel H; May 14th, 2013 at 04:24 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Install latest OpenOffice.org?

What's saying there's a newer version available? OOffice or Update Manager? If you installed through a PPA the PPA may be updated and you should just be able to do a regular update through Update Manager or a terminal.

Beans

BuckyBall - OOffice did a "Check for updates" and said that version 3.4.1 (I think it was) was available to download, but that I'd have to do it from the website.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel H View Post
    ...Ubuntu didn't seem to be aware that it was even installed! I couldn't associate with file types, nor could I find it in the dash. The only way I could run it was to go to the program folder and run soffice.bin.
    I use OpenOffice 3.4.1 on several installations and don't have those problems.

This is just a guess - could you have forgotten to install the debian menus deb package? It's in a separate folder on its own (desktop-integration).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Irihapeti View Post
    I use OpenOffice 3.4.1 on several installations and don't have those problems.

This is just a guess - could you have forgotten to install the debian menus deb package? It's in a separate folder on its own (desktop-integration).
    Nope, definitely installed the desktop-integration stuff!

Beans
    Distro

Did you remove the previous version before you installed 3.4.1?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Irihapeti View Post
    Did you remove the previous version before you installed 3.4.1?
    I didn't have a previous version installed. Just the default LibreOffice that came with Ubuntu 12.04, which I removed.

Beans

And I haven't installed 3.4.1! The program told me I should install it because it is available. I have version 3.4 which I got through the PPA package.

Beans
    Distro

I thought you mentioned a PPA, but I may have misunderstood.

Not sure what's going on, unfortunately. We may have to wait for someone else to throw light on this.

Beans

I did mention a PPA. I ended up using the PPA because as I previously mentioned I followed the instructions to extract from the .tar.gz file but they didn't work. Did I miss something out?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast