Thread: My first laggy unity desktop with Saucy....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

My first laggy unity desktop with Saucy....

I did the upgrade from latest update(saucy-proposed enabled) and reboot. After login, open facebook and gmail on firefox and unity start to lag. Switch to console and below is the fbgrab from htop:

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: My first laggy unity desktop with Saucy....

Not sure what your question is. From the screenshot it is pretty obvious that the system is pretty much saturated with running Unity desktop and load averages are quite high. What are your hardware specs? If this is an older machine I would probably use a desktop environment which places less demand on the machine, such as, for example, XFCE or LXDE.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Check 'about this computer' (details) and see if llvmpipe is running.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I'm sorry if this too confusing. No I mean, Unity is running fine on my netbook before i did the upgrades yesterday. But after reboot and login, I open facebook on firefox, and gnome control center online accounts launched asking for integration with the desktop. Then after that it started to lag. Luckily, I can switch to tty1 console and login. Fire up htop to see what is hogging my resources, using fbgrab to take screenshot. As you can see the above post, HUD, unity panel, bamfdaemon and dbus-daemon was hogging my cpu resources.

For Ventrical:

I don't want to open gnome control center cause i'm afraid it will start to hogging my cpu and unity become laggy again
    And when I open gnome terminal profile preferences, gnome terminal crashed. Eye of Gnome also crashed when I open it. Can't take screenshot using gnome-screenshot too. Nevermind, i have i3 wm as a backup when Unity is unusable

So, after today's update and upgrade, still having problem with Unity become laggy when i open facebook, gmail and google plus on firefox. I've discovered that unity-desktop-integration, ubuntu-online-accounts and unity-websites-integration firefox extensions was causing the lagginess issue. When I disabled those extensions, no more lagginess when i'm using Unity and Firefox.
    Last edited by serdotlinecho; May 15th, 2013 at 05:30 AM.