Thread: Malicious Client accessing?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Exclamation Malicious Client accessing?

Hi,

Just now I was using my Ubuntu Laptop (12.04LTS) and was suddenly confronted with several error messages. The first alerted me to the fact that Update Manager had unexpectedly closed - though I hadn't opened it, but it probably come on automatically and crashed before the window actually appeared. I clicked 'leave closed' thinking I would just run it when I had finished what I was doing. However, there next appeared two windows, one after the other, saying that Ubuntu had experienced an internal error. I clicked to send a report on both of them. I also checked the details of the second one and it said something about blueman-applet. I had noticed a few days ago that the bluetooth status icon was unexpectedly in the system bar, but since I couldn't make it go away, and it disappeared by itself, I thought nothing of it. My laptop has no bluetooth capabilities anyway. Then I got a message asking if the problem I had reported was to do with updating from one version of Ubuntu to another. I clicked 'No'. Next, a cog icon appeared in the launcher, and pulsed as if it were an opening app. The screen went black and then came back on again a second later with a message that said something about not being able to grab the mouse and that a malicious client might have control over my computer. At this point I shut down and pulled out the ethernet cable. What should I do? I'm quite careful and security conscious. I can't think of anything that I've downloaded that could possibly be malicious.

Please advise, and thanks in advance...
    I am an Ubuntu Padawan.

Beans
    Distro

Re: Malicious Client accessing?

Could be that someone tried to open a remote desktop session to your computer. Do you use a firewall? If yes, check open ports. If not, think about using one and block all incoming ports.

Beans
    Distro

OK, I'll look into firewalls. Should I be worried about viruses/malware or do you think that it's just an external intrusion attempt? I just want to feel reasonably safe while using my Ubuntu system...!
    Last edited by 25tom; May 14th, 2013 at 05:03 PM.
    I am an Ubuntu Padawan.

Beans
    Distro

Viruses/malware are an increasing problem, so you should always be cautious. However, there are not so many of them that are able to attack Linux systems, because Linux does not have a market penetration comparable to Windows or Mac OSX. At the moment I would think that it was either an external attack or maybe a malicious web site. Did you use a web browser at the time the attack happened?

Beans
    Distro

Yes, I accessed my email via webmail, but the site shows up with a green padlock icon, so I'd assumed that wasn't the problem... and I didn't download anything...
    I am an Ubuntu Padawan.