Thread: Tying to Install Linux on Dell Workstation wit Windows 7

Beans

Tying to Install Linux on Dell Workstation wit Windows 7

I have a Perc H710p hard disk controller, running 2 1 TB drives in RAID 1. When I try to install Ubuntu (and also same now with Red Hat) I get to the partition part of the installation, and the installer tells me that it doesn't see an operating system. I can see various partitions--just nothing identified as a Windows 7 partition. Which makes me nervous to go forward. Also, for some reason, Dell configured this as a GPT drive (don't ask me why). Any thoughts on the easiest way to get this done? I would very much like to be able to dual boot.

So obstacles that I see:
    - Perc H710p controller (though Ubuntu sees the hard disk, just not that Windows is already installed)
    - RAID
    - GPT

If it would make it easier, I would probably sacrifice the RAID. Given my luck with hard drives, I would prefer to have the RAID, though. (It will at least be amusing to see two disks fail at the same time..... And I know it will happen.)

Thanks in advance. I did see that this question has been discussed, and I tried what I could from the advice there.

Beans

Re: Tying to Install Linux on Dell Workstation wit Windows 7

As a guess, the installation image doesn't include the PERC driver.

I suggest trying to install the server version of Ubuntu first, which might include the driver. I'm a bit surprised that RedHat does not install, though, since it's usually quite good about drivers for Dell hardware. If the server version installs, you can add a GUI desktop with something like "sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop".

If you take the "Try Ubuntu" approach from the installer, see if you can browse the hard drive and list the partitions with "fdisk -l". If the drive looks correct, then you may be able to run the installer from the demo session.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

Thanks. Both Ubuntu and Red Hat do recognize the Perc controller. But I will try what you say as well and report back.

Beans

Hello. I'm having the same issue on a Dell Inspiron 17R i7 2 GHzwith 1 TB hard drive. Neither 10.04 LTS or 12.04 LTS seem to be able to see Windows 7 home premium (or Windows 8, which the machine originally came with). I can run 12.04 from the DVD, and "fdisk -l" returns nothing. The hard drive lists in Windows as an ST1000LM-02 HN-M101MBB ATA Device. If it's a driver issue, can that be fixed?

Mark

Beans

I did fdisk -l from a terminal window running Unbuntu from the DVD. Nothing found. The man files for fdisk are clear though that it does not work with GPT. Note also that I can see my Windows files just fine from Unbuntu. Any other ideas?

Thanks

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mathboy2 View Post
    Note also that I can see my Windows files just fine from Unbuntu.Thanks
    Did you try running the installer using the icon on the desktop? If the DVD image sees the disk correctly, I suspect the installer will as well.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    Did you try running the installer using the icon on the desktop? If the DVD image sees the disk correctly, I suspect the installer will as well.
    Yes. Same result...says it does not see any other operating system and gives me a choice between deleting everything and "doing something else."

Beans

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Beans

I've run out of ideas, I'm afraid. You might want to consider posting a bug report at Launchpad.net.