Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 13.04 installation - No GRUB, or Windows boot entry.

Re: 13.04 installation - No GRUB, or Windows boot entry.

Okay, by activating Secure Boot, I now have access to GRUB! Success!

There is still an issue though... Lubuntu doesn't boot, except on the pendrive, and all of the options to start Windows 8 return an error and take me back to GRUB.

Well, that wasn't fully accurate. Lubuntu DOES boot, but it doesn't finish booting. Partway through the boot process the screen freezes for an indeterminate amount of time(probably eternity until the computer is shut off). I have a lot of extra options in GRUB as well, most of them HP garbage I can easily ignore.

So for the most part, it's working, but Lubuntu doesn't want to boot. Any ideas or diagnoses I can run?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I do not know Lubuntu, but have you tried the nomodeset from post #8?

What video card/chip do you have. If one of the dual video systems, usually best to turn one off in UEFI.
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.

Nomodeset was actually what allowed me to work GRUB, so yes I have! As for my graphics card, it's an AMD Radeon HD 6310.

The new problem isn't so much on GRUB or issues with the boot firmware, but it seems to be closer to being about the installation itself. I wonder if there's anything that Lubuntu installs after GRUB, if so that'd explain it. I still have Lubuntu on a pendrive that boots properly, so it's likely an issue with the installed software.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I think live installers seem to default better to a working driver than the actual install.

If nomodeset does not work try a couple of other settings. Can also be BIOS setting or you may need other boot parameters. Delete quiet splash when adding nomodeset or other parameter(s) and see if you can see where it stops. Usually last entry is not the issue be one several earlier.

I think the generic setting is more like live installer.
    Some other settings:
    http://ubuntu-tutorials.com/2010/05/...up-workaround/

• Older Intel video card: i915.modeset=1 or i915.modeset=0 newer: i915.i915_enable_rc6=1
    • nVidia: nomodeset
    • Generic: xforcevesa or nouveau.modeset=0
    • Radeon: radeon.modeset=0
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12