Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Proposed: Chromium as Ubuntu's default browser

Beans

Re: Proposed: Chromium as Ubuntu's default browser

I suspect the decision has been made a while ago and what's going on now is [put suitable word here]. See the Twitter link: https://twitter.com/chrisccoulson/st...50649901678594

And for those extremely helpful people who keep coming up with "sudo apt-get install browser_of_your_choice", I wonder if they've really been following things. Perhaps they may be able to explain why Chromium has been stuck at v25 for ages even though a Canonical employee has been assigned to "maintain" Chromium quite a few months ago.

Maybe the same people have an explanation for the status of Please update to 27.0.1453.110 which has "Importance: undecided" and "Assigned to: unassigned".

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    I suspect the decision has been made a while ago and what's going on now is [put suitable word here]. See the Twitter link: https://twitter.com/chrisccoulson/st...50649901678594

And for those extremely helpful people who keep coming up with "sudo apt-get install browser_of_your_choice", I wonder if they've really been following things. Perhaps they may be able to explain why Chromium has been stuck at v25 for ages even though a Canonical employee has been assigned to "maintain" Chromium quite a few months ago.

Maybe the same people have an explanation for the status of Please update to 27.0.1453.110 which has "Importance: undecided" and "Assigned to: unassigned".
    Not sure what being helpful in getting the browser of choice on a system and having to be in the game of maintaining Chromium have to do with each other. It doesn't matter how up to date Chromium is, newcomers will be asking how to get Chrome or Firefox installed and the old timers will open a terminal and get it done. In the end, users are going to want their browser to be something they recognize from Windows or Apple. I will gladly help them get that accomplished.
    Cheers & Beers, uRock
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans

right now my sound is all choppy on regular Chrome on Ubuntu.
    Chromium doesn't seem to let you create profiles.
    well that prompted me to Google it and I found this:
    http://www.chromium.org/developers/c...using-profiles

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by uRock View Post
    Not sure what being helpful in getting the browser of choice on a system and having to be in the game of maintaining Chromium have to do with each other. It doesn't matter how up to date Chromium is, newcomers will be asking how to get Chrome or Firefox installed and the old timers will open a terminal and get it done. In the end, users are going to want their browser to be something they recognize from Windows or Apple. I will gladly help them get that accomplished.
    I guess his point is that if Firefox is not the default it probably wouldn't be maintained and become as out of date as Chromium is now. So sudo apt-get install firefox would probably do you no good.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain2012 View Post
    I guess his point is that if Firefox is not the default it probably wouldn't be maintained and become as out of date as Chromium is now. So sudo apt-get install firefox would probably do you no good.
    Thank you

They could clarify what will happen to Firefox. Will it be moved from main (with support from Canonical) to universe (support by the "community" and all that that implies)? From what I understand, Chris Coulson was looking after both Firefox (stable, beta, and Aurora) and Thunderbird. Will Thunderbird remain in main?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

The epitome of all things good in FOSS. The application that epitmoizes FOSS. And imo, still the best broweser out there.

dumped for the ulimate spy company.

no thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

From a practical standpoint it's not a big problem. Firefox is not installed by default in Kubuntu anyway so I already have to apt-get install firefox as one of my first actions on a fresh install.

But I agree with smellyman, Firefox has symbolic value. Mozilla may be sponsored by Google but their intentions and spirit seem totally different. Firefox was likely the first open source application that I used, starting on Windows ~ 10 years ago. When I installed Ubuntu I was glad to see Firefox there installed already I have used it ever since on any OS installation and still do today. According to what I read Firefox is slow compared to Chrome(ium) but I haven't noticed that myself. The extensions were awesome and still are today. Firefox Forever!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I couldn't care less about "symbolic value." Frankly, I'm surprised by all the whining in this thread and elsewhere about the possibility that Ubuntu will go with Chromium. I use several other distros that don't include my preferred web browser by default, and it's no big deal. Whatever Canonical decides about this is totally fine with me.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain2012 View Post
    I keep forgetting how easy it is to install from a binary, but I am sure I will remember when the time comes.
    Cheers & Beers, uRock
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by uRock View Post
    I keep forgetting how easy it is to install from a binary, but I am sure I will remember when the time comes.
    Then why bother to maintain it in the first place? Yes, in Debian I do download the binary from Mozilla cos iceweasel is outdated and doesn't work with some addons. Pro. there is no need for installation, it works by just clicking the bin file Con: whenever there is an update the launcher disappears and I have to relink the .desktop file.

Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast