Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Proposed: Chromium as Ubuntu's default browser

Beans

Re: Firefox about to lose the Ubuntu Linux vote ?

Quote Originally Posted by Elfy View Post
    Not sure where that quote comes from - nor if it's even a real point or just something someone heard in passing by one person amongst others.
    If you're referring to "Final decision to be taken after feedback with community", Jason Warner @42:35 and 43:35 and right at the end said something that could be taken that way: putting things up on the mailing list.

What fun. Already the OMG comments section has the usual suspects

Beans

Re: Proposed: Chromium as Ubuntu's default browser

Quote Originally Posted by BigSilly View Post
    Personally I would still want Firefox. I'd like to see it stay as default purely as I think it's better, but as long as it's available and I can remove Chromium that's fine.

I don't know why people are stating Flash support as a major factor for Chromium adoption. I'm no expert but it looks to me like Flash is in its final throes. I use a Nexus 7 too and that doesn't feature any Flash support at all (unless you sideload it - I don't), and it is not missed. While obviously Ubuntu is a different beast from Android, I still feel the web is done with Flash, and it isn't a major game changer nowadays. Let it die.
    The fact its still around is where the issue lays, sure flash might be dying but it will take longer then the time we have left to get out of its shadow.

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by BigSilly View Post
    I don't know why people are stating Flash support as a major factor for Chromium adoption. I'm no expert but it looks to me like Flash is in its final throes. I use a Nexus 7 too and that doesn't feature any Flash support at all (unless you sideload it - I don't), and it is not missed. While obviously Ubuntu is a different beast from Android, I still feel the web is done with Flash, and it isn't a major game changer nowadays. Let it die.
    I don't know why flash would even be an issue in this discussion. Chromium is not Chrome, it doesn't have pepper flash. It uses the same flash plugin as Firefox.

Some people claim that there are ways to rigg Chromium to install pepper flash, that is just idiotic even if it works. If you want pepper flash just install Chrome, end of story.
    Last edited by monkeybrain2012; May 18th, 2013 at 04:19 PM.

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by DMGrier View Post
    If there is a open source alternative that is equal to a proprietary I will always pick that but in some cases proprietary wins and that is why many of us Ubuntu since you can have a nice mixture or open source and proprietary tools working together to provide the best user experience. What bothers me is some day and I would expect by early next year the flash plugin will be out of date and then what Canonical? Provide a product with not all functioning tools? I am sure there is a way for Canonical to work something out with google to ship chrome on Ubuntu, or would it be possible to include the pepper plugin in the Ubuntu restricted extras for Chromium?
    There is already an open source browser that is better than proprietary, it is called Firefox. Open vs proprietary has no bearing on this discussion. Chromium is also (sort of) open source but lacks many features and therefore sucks. flash is proprietary no matter what browser you use.

As said before if you want up to date flash, just install Chrome. I think flash is way over rated. I am much more interested in browsers where media plugins actually work and that is Firefox on Linux (Chrome/Chromium is useless if you need to access contents that require windows media plugins for example) In my Fedora install I haven't even installed system flash but I can watch most flash videos just fine on Firefox with greasemonkey scripts and gecko-mediaplayer (Youtube, Vimeo, dailymotion, ted etc) Much better performance than flash and with hardware acceleration. If I have to use flash in occasions where these scripts don't work, just fire up Chrome. I use Chrome only for this, otherwise Firefox is a lot better and feature complete.
    Last edited by monkeybrain2012; May 18th, 2013 at 04:31 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Firefox about to lose the Ubuntu Linux vote ?

Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    If you're referring to "Final decision to be taken after feedback with community", Jason Warner @42:35 and 43:35 and right at the end said something that could be taken that way: putting things up on the mailing list.

What fun. Already the OMG comments section has the usual suspects
    So it wasn't said as such then

I'd have no idea who the normal omg suspects are I try hard not to look at it.

Though perhaps they mean the 20 or 30 on the irc logs - hard to tell as usual.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I run Chrome in beta on windows 7 and it works well - constantly updated. How about doing the same thing with Cromium?

Tried Cinnamon, hated it, didn't work smoothly. Removed it.

Beans

I have 12.04 on my netbook and have no reason to updte any time soon, but if I did, then I would be installing Firefox and uninstalling Chromium. I only run ubuntu via the 12.04 LiveCD on my desktop system, so this change won't be affecting me any time soon.
    Cheers & Beers, uRock
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans

I don't particularly like this proposed change. However, since it's dead simple to install firefox anyway, it's not that big of a deal. I mean, it's not like they're removing firefox from the repos.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Right...it is simply a matter of installing the other browser....Ubuntu has always come with firefox as the default...since i like chrome, i install that and use it...and even though i don't use firefox very often, i leave it on my unity dock (even though i could remove it, of course)...not a biggie, really...

Even with Chromium becoming the default (if they decide as such) since i prefer chrome, i will still be doing the same thing i was doing before...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Pepper Flash installer that works with Chromium on Ubuntu 13.04: https://launchpad.net/~skunk/+archive/pepper-flash

Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast