Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Proposed: Chromium as Ubuntu's default browser

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Re: Proposed: Chromium as Ubuntu's default browser

Quote Originally Posted by Lyfang View Post
    Pepper Flash installer that works with Chromium on Ubuntu 13.04: https://launchpad.net/~skunk/+archive/pepper-flash
    Can't see the point really. If you are an open source purist then you won't install flash, period, If you are not why not just install Chrome? Chromium maybe interesting for developers, but it is neither here nor there for end users. Other than flash Chromium also lacks many other features, the video summit mentioned pdf reader and they suggested that they should get the evince developers to make a customized plugin for Chromium (guess these guys didn't know about the old mozplugger) is this a joke?
    Last edited by monkeybrain2012; May 21st, 2013 at 12:32 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by craig10x View Post
    Right...it is simply a matter of installing the other browser....Ubuntu has always come with firefox as the default...since i like chrome, i install that and use it...and even though i don't use firefox very often, i leave it on my unity dock (even though i could remove it, of course)...not a biggie, really...

Even with Chromium becoming the default (if they decide as such) since i prefer chrome, i will still be doing the same thing i was doing before...
    Only if it is easy to remove Chromium, but what if removing it takes 100 packages along with it? (like removing konqueror in Kubuntu or iceweasel in Debian) I use FF and occasionally Chrome, I don't really want to keep a rather useless third browser around.
    Last edited by monkeybrain2012; May 21st, 2013 at 12:33 AM.

Beans

Leaving aside the actual inferiority of Chromium with respect to FF (which can be objectively assessed based on features, even the Chromium pushers on the video admitted that) , I find the prime reason given to the change indefensible on many levels.

The claim is that since Chrome (not Chromium, mind you) is getting more popular than Firefox on the proprietary platforms Linux should follow suits to abandon Firefox. First of all the fact that some people may find better experience in using Chrome doesn't translate to Chromium which is a vastly crippled version of Chrome in terms of features, people are not so stupid that they would just go by the branding similarity. Secondly, these guys sound as though Firefox is dead , which is entirely false, it is neck in neck with Chrome in terms of user base, the growth of both is mainly at the expense of IE. Mozilla, however, is the epitome of open source and the staunchest defender and champion of open web standard, much more than Google, If indeed it is taking a beating on the proprietary platforms as alleged it is all the more reason for Linux distros to stick with it.
    Last edited by monkeybrain2012; May 21st, 2013 at 12:49 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Still wish there was a way they could have Chrome instead of Chromium...as you said, Chromium is like a stripped down version, where as (to me) Chrome is quite comparable to Firefox and even has slightly better web page rendering...it compares to safari on the mac and that's probably because it's underbase is quite similiar...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain2012 View Post
    ....people are not so stupid that they would just go by the branding similarity.
    I agree with everything you just said, except that bit. It would be nice if that were true, but the entire marketing industry exists to prove that statement wrong.
    My blog about getting your life in gear: Growing Up After 30.

My Photography: Stephen Michael Photography.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by craig10x View Post
    Still wish there was a way they could have Chrome instead of Chromium...as you said, Chromium is like a stripped down version, where as (to me) Chrome is quite comparable to Firefox and even has slightly better web page rendering...it compares to safari on the mac and that's probably because it's underbase is quite similiar...
    Depends on your use case. In my case even Chrome is not comparable to FF. I regularly have 100+ tabs open in FF, that will freeze my computer completely if I do that with Chrome, can't get the addon I use in FF in Chrome ( e.g videodownloadhelper, the Chrome equivalent just sucks) streaming doesn't work at all or barely in Chrome if it is not flash, if I accidentally close a tab I cannot reopen it with all the history intact like in FF and more.. I don't notice any speed difference except FF may take a little longer to start up (but I have 100+ tabs open) and once started both are smooth.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb View Post
    I agree with everything you just said, except that bit. It would be nice if that were true, but the entire marketing industry exists to prove that statement wrong.
    True, but that kind of deceptions usually backfire. If some unsuspecting new user tries out Ubuntu and confuses Chromium with Chrome (as these guys in the video summit wished), he/she would soon discover that features he/she takes for granted in Windows or Mac are missing in Ubuntu's version of "Chrome" and comes to the conclusion that Ubuntu is a crappy OS where even Chrome doesn't work as well.

Beans

it depends, I myself use chromium as the main web browser before, but since last year, I found firefox is more suitable for me. if you do not want use firefox, just set chromium as your default web brower, it's easy, you do not have to wait for chromium become the default of the UBUNTU, as far as i know, firefox still has lots of fans like me

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Also, part of the reason Chrome is gaining popularity is the shear amount of advertising. Chrome is suggesested on so many web installs etc. "make the web faster". So many of my users install it or ask if they "need" to install it because it says it will make the "web faster". Then boom it is their default web browser. Many of them have no idea they made the switch to another browser. LOL

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I find Firefox to be better all round. I have even had Chrome crash on google's own google apps where Firefox has worked perfectly.

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast