Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Proposed: Chromium as Ubuntu's default browser

Beans

Re: Proposed: Chromium as Ubuntu's default browser

I think the switch to chromium makes sense as one can repackage pepperflash and make it optional so not need google chrome

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Quote Originally Posted by malspa View Post
    However: When posting here in Chromium (from Debian Wheezy or from Chakra), I don't have formatting options, etc., showing up in the toolbar above the text field! Not cool. They are there in Chrome.
    And they are there for me in the current Ubuntu repository Chromium version 25.0.1364.160 in 13.04. Could this be a browser settings issue for you?
    Ubuntu 15.10 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 14.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - IRC #ubuntuforums

Member: Not Canonical Team

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecat View Post
    And they are there for me in the current Ubuntu repository Chromium version 25.0.1364.160 in 13.04. ...
    Same here. I think they're all there.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    de gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum -- Wiktionary

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecat View Post
    And they are there for me in the current Ubuntu repository Chromium version 25.0.1364.160 in 13.04. Could this be a browser settings issue for you?
    I don't know. Here, the toolbar isn't there at all. Right now, typing from Chromium 26.0.1410.63 (192696) in Chakra as far as I know, I use the same settings in Chromium that I use in Chrome, but the toolbar is there in Chrome. I think the mods will want me to start a new thread about this since it's kinda off-topic. I'll log into Ubuntu 12.04 and see how things look from there.

Beans
    Distro

My new thread regarding the missing formatting toolbar issue: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...4#post12647474

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

@vasa1: that works for raring too...that's how i installed Google Chrome 26 stable in my newly installed 13.04.....Just grab the dependency deb file from the linked article and then grab the google chrome deb from their website....right click each deb and install with ubuntu software center (no need to do it in the terminal as shown in the article)....be sure to have it install the dependency first...Once Chrome 27 makes it way to stable, there won't be any need to use this method anymore as 27 has the "fix" from Chrome...
    http://handytutorial.com/install-goo...dency-problem/

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by castrojo View Post
    It's marked as accepted for UDS tomorrow and it's on the schedule.
    Anyone know if this has this happened? Is there a YouTube link?

It's here: http://summit.ubuntu.com/uds-1305/me...fault-browser/

2013-05-16 16:05..17:00 in Client 1
    Last edited by vasa1; May 15th, 2013 at 08:24 AM.
    de gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum -- Wiktionary

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I do think Chromium is better than FF: I have had nothing but trouble with FF, some websites, like Lumosity, don't run on FF but are flawless on chromium. On the other hand, the decision not to include proper PDF integration into Chromium - I understand the reasons - makes it utterly useless to me. SO basically, I don't care what the default is, on my system both are gone.
    Lutz

Beans

i thought chromium was chrome

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

I watched the summit video. Basically this is just pushed by a bunch of Chromuim enthusiasts. They have not given a single valid reason for the switch. They were listing problems and missing features in Chromium which are all solved in Firefox, they either dismissed these as "non problems" because they are not typical in the "general use case", or that they may be able to work out some solutions by reinventing the wheel (like running Firefox's pdf js in Chromium??!!) And their ultimate justification is that they should switch because Chrome is outpacing FF in other platforms and Chromium would be perferrred by the "general user" on Ubuntu . Chrome and Chromium are not the same, Chrome has a lot of features that Chromium lacks, so if the "general user" cannot tell the difference then she is just going to conclude that Ubuntu is such a crappy platform that even Chrome doesn't work as well. Great way to advertise Ubuntu.

Finally a guy said that Chromium is inferror to Firefox in terms of functions and features but they can hopefully close the gap so that they can compare the two based on merits?? Isn't the comparison already made by his own admission? Isn't functons and features the decisive standard of merits??!!I They didn't make any sense.
    Last edited by monkeybrain2012; May 17th, 2013 at 05:40 AM.

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast