Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast

Thread: Proposed: Chromium as Ubuntu's default browser

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Proposed: Chromium as Ubuntu's default browser

@monkeybrain 2012: yes...it is VERY common today....quite a few manufacturers INCLUDE Google Chrome pre-installed along with Internet Explorer...I have noticed that when i go to stores and look at the desktops and laptops...I can tell you that HP and Toshiba and Sony do (probably others as well) and my Toshiba 17" laptop which i bought about 6 months ago, came with Windows 7, Internet Explorer and Google Chrome installed...None have Firefox pre-installed...The reason why they have added it is because Chrome has become so immensely popular, even beating out IE these days...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Don't you mean the OEMs put Chrome on their factory image because they get kickbacks?

*hides*
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

@CharlesA: perhaps they do...but i do suspect it's also due to Chrome's tremendous popularity now...When Chrome was younger, and not as popular as it has become, i never saw ANY computers coming with it already installed and now most do...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesA View Post
    Don't you mean the OEMs put Chrome on their factory image because they get kickbacks?

*hides*
    I don't think you need to hide. Isn't it quite obvious it's because of kickbacks? I also don't see it as some big conspiracy either. It's a simple business transaction. "We pay you X money, and you preinstal' our software on your computers."
    Last edited by aysiu; June 26th, 2013 at 07:28 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by craig10x View Post
    @CharlesA: perhaps they do...but i do suspect it's also due to Chrome's tremendous popularity now...When Chrome was younger, and not as popular as it has become, i never saw ANY computers coming with it already installed and now most do...
    I dunno if it is strictly because of popularity or if it is to get their name/product to more people.

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu View Post
    I don't think you need to hide. Isn't it quite obvious it's because of kickbacks? I also don't see it as some big conspiracy either. It's a simple business transaction. "We pay you X money, and you preinstalled our software on your computers."
    Indeed. It is a bit about marketing too, getting your product visible to more people.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans

I'd be happy with Chromium as the default browser. I hardly use FF nowadays.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I can't remember, is Firefox open-source? If not, then that's all the more reason to opt for Chromium. Or maybe Canonical could pull a Google and use Chromium as a base for Ubuntu's own browser, say Ubuntu Chrome, so that more Ubuntu-exclusive additions can be implemented than if it were standard Chromium.

Just a thought.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by King Dude View Post
    I can't remember, is Firefox open-source?
    Firefox is open source, definitely.

If it weren't, Ubuntu would never have included Firefox as the default browser in the first place.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Hate to disappoint users, but Ubuntu is not all about performance or browser features. Ubuntu has ambitions, especially in the mobile space, and is threading its way among browsers produced by real or potential competitors. Chromium project doesn't skim user data for Google the way full-featured Chrome does, and Ubuntu wants to do, and FireFox is now floating itself as a mobile platform competing with Ubuntu.
    New to Linux. Currently dual boot Lubuntu 10.10 with W7 on Acer One netbook. Experimenting with Mint 15 XFCE on netbook and a Dell laptop with peripherals (Persistent 8GB Live USB.)

Beans

I am sorry to dig up that thread but so finally, what's the long-term plan?

Will Canonical go on with Firefox in it's next releases or will it go with Chromium?

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast