Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 161

Thread: Proposed: Chromium as Ubuntu's default browser

  1. #111
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Bombay
    Beans
    6,034
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: Proposed: Chromium as Ubuntu's default browser

    I suspect the decision has been made a while ago and what's going on now is [put suitable word here]. See the Twitter link: https://twitter.com/chrisccoulson/st...50649901678594

    And for those extremely helpful people who keep coming up with "sudo apt-get install browser_of_your_choice", I wonder if they've really been following things. Perhaps they may be able to explain why Chromium has been stuck at v25 for ages even though a Canonical employee has been assigned to "maintain" Chromium quite a few months ago.

    Maybe the same people have an explanation for the status of Please update to 27.0.1453.110 which has "Importance: undecided" and "Assigned to: unassigned".
    de gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum -- Wiktionary

  2. #112
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    White Plume Mountain
    Beans
    8,222
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: Proposed: Chromium as Ubuntu's default browser

    Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    I suspect the decision has been made a while ago and what's going on now is [put suitable word here]. See the Twitter link: https://twitter.com/chrisccoulson/st...50649901678594

    And for those extremely helpful people who keep coming up with "sudo apt-get install browser_of_your_choice", I wonder if they've really been following things. Perhaps they may be able to explain why Chromium has been stuck at v25 for ages even though a Canonical employee has been assigned to "maintain" Chromium quite a few months ago.

    Maybe the same people have an explanation for the status of Please update to 27.0.1453.110 which has "Importance: undecided" and "Assigned to: unassigned".
    Not sure what being helpful in getting the browser of choice on a system and having to be in the game of maintaining Chromium have to do with each other. It doesn't matter how up to date Chromium is, newcomers will be asking how to get Chrome or Firefox installed and the old timers will open a terminal and get it done. In the end, users are going to want their browser to be something they recognize from Windows or Apple. I will gladly help them get that accomplished.
    Thank you for your contributions. "So long and thanks for the fish!"

  3. #113
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Beans
    3

    Re: Proposed: Chromium as Ubuntu's default browser

    right now my sound is all choppy on regular Chrome on Ubuntu.
    Chromium doesn't seem to let you create profiles.
    well that prompted me to Google it and I found this:
    http://www.chromium.org/developers/c...using-profiles

  4. #114
    monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Beans
    874

    Re: Proposed: Chromium as Ubuntu's default browser

    Quote Originally Posted by uRock View Post
    Not sure what being helpful in getting the browser of choice on a system and having to be in the game of maintaining Chromium have to do with each other. It doesn't matter how up to date Chromium is, newcomers will be asking how to get Chrome or Firefox installed and the old timers will open a terminal and get it done. In the end, users are going to want their browser to be something they recognize from Windows or Apple. I will gladly help them get that accomplished.
    I guess his point is that if Firefox is not the default it probably wouldn't be maintained and become as out of date as Chromium is now. So sudo apt-get install firefox would probably do you no good.

  5. #115
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Bombay
    Beans
    6,034
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: Proposed: Chromium as Ubuntu's default browser

    Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain2012 View Post
    I guess his point is that if Firefox is not the default it probably wouldn't be maintained and become as out of date as Chromium is now. So sudo apt-get install firefox would probably do you no good.
    Thank you

    They could clarify what will happen to Firefox. Will it be moved from main (with support from Canonical) to universe (support by the "community" and all that that implies)? From what I understand, Chris Coulson was looking after both Firefox (stable, beta, and Aurora) and Thunderbird. Will Thunderbird remain in main?
    de gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum -- Wiktionary

  6. #116
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Beans
    58
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

    Re: Proposed: Chromium as Ubuntu's default browser

    The epitome of all things good in FOSS. The application that epitmoizes FOSS. And imo, still the best broweser out there.

    dumped for the ulimate spy company.

    no thanks.

  7. #117
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    /Europe/Netherlands
    Beans
    383
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: Proposed: Chromium as Ubuntu's default browser

    From a practical standpoint it's not a big problem. Firefox is not installed by default in Kubuntu anyway so I already have to apt-get install firefox as one of my first actions on a fresh install.

    But I agree with smellyman, Firefox has symbolic value. Mozilla may be sponsored by Google but their intentions and spirit seem totally different. Firefox was likely the first open source application that I used, starting on Windows ~ 10 years ago. When I installed Ubuntu I was glad to see Firefox there installed already I have used it ever since on any OS installation and still do today. According to what I read Firefox is slow compared to Chrome(ium) but I haven't noticed that myself. The extensions were awesome and still are today. Firefox Forever!
    "I believe humans get a lot done, not because we're smart, but because we have thumbs so we can make coffee." --Flash Rosenberg
    formerly 'known' as Euroman

  8. #118
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    albuquerque
    Beans
    561
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: Proposed: Chromium as Ubuntu's default browser

    I couldn't care less about "symbolic value." Frankly, I'm surprised by all the whining in this thread and elsewhere about the possibility that Ubuntu will go with Chromium. I use several other distros that don't include my preferred web browser by default, and it's no big deal. Whatever Canonical decides about this is totally fine with me.

  9. #119
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    White Plume Mountain
    Beans
    8,222
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: Proposed: Chromium as Ubuntu's default browser

    Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain2012 View Post
    I guess his point is that if Firefox is not the default it probably wouldn't be maintained and become as out of date as Chromium is now. So sudo apt-get install firefox would probably do you no good.
    I keep forgetting how easy it is to install from a binary, but I am sure I will remember when the time comes.
    Thank you for your contributions. "So long and thanks for the fish!"

  10. #120
    monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Beans
    874

    Re: Proposed: Chromium as Ubuntu's default browser

    Quote Originally Posted by uRock View Post
    I keep forgetting how easy it is to install from a binary, but I am sure I will remember when the time comes.
    Then why bother to maintain it in the first place? Yes, in Debian I do download the binary from Mozilla cos iceweasel is outdated and doesn't work with some addons. Pro. there is no need for installation, it works by just clicking the bin file Con: whenever there is an update the launcher disappears and I have to relink the .desktop file.

Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •