Thread: indicator-messages

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

indicator-messages

I installed Ubuntu 13.04 about a week ago, at the time i had no need for the mail app in the top panel so I removed it using the sudo apt-get autoremove indicator-messages command--thinking I could later restore it if needed using the sudo apt-get install indicator-messages command but it did not work. I also had removed Evolution Mail and Calendar as the Evolution mail program crashed while using.

I would like to restore the mail app in the top panel and have it check my gmail--how can this be done?
    Last edited by garyzw; May 14th, 2013 at 06:52 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Re: indicator-messages

What flavor of Ubuntu ? Thubnderbird is default in Ubuntu , so I am wondering how evolution mail and calendar came to be installed . If you have restarted since installing the indicator try opening the mail client.
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Ubuntu 13.04-- didn't want to use Thunderbird--wanted to use gmail online only. evolution mail and calendar were pre-installed

Beans
    Distro

Strange, after three 13.04 installations Evolution has not been installed on any of them only Thunderbird . Try installing Tbird and check the default mail client in the Details Application under Default Applications and open Tbird. For Gmail you may want to check out Unity Mail in the software center. Thunderbird has been default since 11.10. http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/05/n...ds-thunderbird

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

What I want to do is get the email indicator app back in the top panel and have it default to gmail. See attached picture

Screenshot from 2013-05-13 20:49:58.jpg

Beans
    Distro

The indicator works by gathering information from and opening the default email client which is Thunderbird unless you are using the Ubuntu-Gnome release of 13.04 . The Gnome release uses Evolution and that is why knowing the Ubuntu flavor is important. Either way you have to install the default email client for the indicator to appear and work. The indicator won't open the web browser and check for mail, but will check the default mail client.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Are you looking for the envelope icon? I do not have that icon in my new 13.04 and that is because I have yet to run and email application or use IRC or anything like that. Once I run an application associated with that email icon then the icon will appear in the to panel.

Have you tried opening Online Accounts in system settings. I see that Google (including Gmail) is listed. Have you set up the account?

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    Are you looking for the envelope icon? I do not have that icon in my new 13.04 and that is because I have yet to run and email application or use IRC or anything like that. Once I run an application associated with that email icon then the icon will appear in the to panel.

Have you tried opening Online Accounts in system settings. I see that Google (including Gmail) is listed. Have you set up the account?

Regards.
    Yes I set up Gmail with the Online Accounts--but it seems that as Frogs Hair said it only will notify of mail when using Thunderbird

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by garyzw View Post
    Yes I set up Gmail with the Online Accounts--but it seems that as Frogs Hair said it only will notify of mail when using Thunderbird
    I tested web apps also and the result was that Firefox opened the Gmail login page which could have been done with a browser shortcut. Unity Mail notifies of new messages in Gmail but it also only opens the web browser to the Gmail login page.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Thanks all who replied--I will mark it as solved